• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice on MFE application

Hi,

I am looking to get advice on application for MFE program. My profile is as below:

Bachelor in Electrical Engineering
(Second class upper)

Current job in IT field

I find financial engineering the kind of program which suits me. However, I am worried that my low GPA might lower my chances to get into a good university. Is there any way I can increase my chances to get into MFE program? I am planning to apply in 2017, and I would really appreciate if someone could suggest any course or any way for me to be able to get admission in a good university in US/Canada, etc.

You haven't given us enough detail about your background to provide you with useful advice.

Hi,
I needed some insights on the importance of college GPA and particular grades on the MFE application.
I have taken most of the mathematics courses you have mentioned(Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics), but my grades aren't very competitve. I come from an Economics Honrs and Electrical Engineering background, and I have a good curriculum record in Economics and Finance courses(including C Programming, Econometrics and Applied Econometrics). I have also done a plethora of courses with straight A grades in many finance courses including Derivatives and Risk Management, Portfolio Management, Security Analysis, Financial Management, and Financial Engineering basics.
Could you tell me please, how bad is it going to hurt my chances, considering my weak grades in maths courses? I have a good programming experience though and am a CFA level2 candidate.
168 quants in GRE, and am also a CFA Level2 candidate.
Thanks

Back