• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice to new students in math finance masters programs

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do in the summer preceding a math finance program. Specifically if anyone found any areas they wish they knew more before entering the program.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
-Maciej

Read Stefanica "A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering" and Savitch "Problem Solving with C++."

A First Course in Probability - Sheldon Ross
Stochastic Calculus for Finance I: The Binomial Asset Pricing Model - Steven Shreve

Also Neftci "Principles of financial engineering" may be good

Enjoy the summer as best you can, it's likely the last free summer you will have for a while.

Thanks for the tips,

I think I'll be fine with C++, I double majored in math and CS at Boston University. But are there any specific libraries that are used by quants. The only one I could find is quantlib which doesn't seem that popular from reading the forum.

learn the boost library, study Real Analysis and Probabilities, Linear Algebra, learn Stochastic calculus.

National Plumbing Codes Handbook
Plumber's Licensing Study Guide
Plumber's Exam Preparation Guide

Back