• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Aerospace Engineer To Quantitative Analyst?

I am an Aerospace engineer as well with bachelor's degree. I am no longer interested in engineering and looking forward to make a career change to Investment Banking.

Deji!!! I don't think that you need anymore degree. I've heard people in IB and quant finance position with engineering degree. I would just try to find a job rather than getting more degree. You should try with Renaissence HF. They do hire computer programmers. Good luck.

Seems like you are pretty good at observing pattern. ;)
November 29th... hey, I was close.

Hello to everyone, the OP here again. To this post:

If you really need to make a fortune through financial market, I suggest you pursue a PHD in statistics econometrics, etc. Maybe you can combine chaotic equation with data mining methods to predict the price, which might be far more profitable than derivative pricing and arbitrage. The most successful hedge fund Renaissence makes money the former way.

Currently, I am looking forward to graduating with my Aerospace Engineering PhD from a Top 10 program and do have some tough decisions to make. Does this sound crazy, but I have being pondering getting a PhD in Applied Math with some economics mixed in there??? And I would love to go to Princeton for that degree. Sounds like the quant finance field might be overly saturated right now, what do you guys think? A PhD in Statistics Econometrics, what is that?

Given that I have being working for 4 years now as an Aerospace Engineer, I just do not think that is something I would like to do for the rest of my life. Applied Mathematics rules the world!!!

Hello to everyone, the OP here again. To this post:

If you really need to make a fortune through financial market, I suggest you pursue a PHD in statistics econometrics, etc. Maybe you can combine chaotic equation with data mining methods to predict the price, which might be far more profitable than derivative pricing and arbitrage. The most successful hedge fund Renaissence makes money the former way.

Currently, I am looking forward to graduating with my Aerospace Engineering PhD from a Top 10 program and do have some tough decisions to make. Does this sound crazy, but I have being pondering getting a PhD in Applied Math with some economics mixed in there??? And I would love to go to Princeton for that degree. Sounds like the quant finance field might be overly saturated right now, what do you guys think? A PhD in Statistics Econometrics, what is that?

Given that I have being working for 4 years now as an Aerospace Engineer, I just do not think that is something I would like to do for the rest of my life. Applied Mathematics rules the world!!!

Great, do another PhD in a "hot field" and after you are done with that one, I'm sure there will be something else. So you will be doing a 3rd PhD by my count... You will be a professional student!! A modern day Van Wilder!!!

All joking aside, concentrate on finishing your current PhD and decide what you want to do. Piling up degrees is not going to help.

Modern day Van Wilder, that's hilarious. I've seen that movie, LOL. The advice to focus on completing my current PhD is a fantastic one, and I do realize that piling up degrees doesn't help either.
You guys would concur that the whole quant career field is immensely saturated right now, especially with the proliferation of all these 1-2 year MFE programs emerging all over the place.

Hello everyone and happy holidays. So, I did complete my Aerospace Engineering PhD approximately 3 weeks ago after having to write a 300 page dissertation and experiencing a delightful defense. Well, I have been applying for quant jobs and it seems a good number of them prefer someone with machine learning background. It seems the future of quant finance is in the utilization of large data sets and the subsequent application of advanced machine learning algorithms to predict the movement of the targeted "financial market". I am currently trying my best to immerse myself in machine learning and hopefully, things will work out well!

Last edited:
Why would you even want to make the switch? Aerospace engineering sounds like a lot of fun and it is well paid. I think you should keep doing that. Quant finance will be available for you to dominate anytime you feel like it.

Why would you even want to make the switch? Aerospace engineering sounds like a lot of fun and it is well paid. I think you should keep doing that. Quant finance will be available for you to dominate anytime you feel like it.
From Aerospace to Quant you must be able to hit the ground running.

From Aerospace to Quant you must be able to hit the ground running.
True! That's where the problem could be. Finance is pretty vast and it is not easy to learn. It require at least 2-3 years of full-time study. And this study can be done on your own time by reading about the financial markets and various finance textbooks and journals.

Back