• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Algorithmic Trading Conference

There's going to be a conference on Algorithmic Trading at NYU's Courant Institute on Friday, October 3 2008, starting at 8:30am. The venue will be the Skirball Center

The conference's title is: "Algorithmic Trading: Dynamic Portfolios, Optimal Execution, and Risk" and the list of speakers is:

Robert ALMGREN, Quantitative Brokers
David CUSHING, Wellington Management
Ian DOMOWITZ, ITG
Robert ENGLE, NYU Stern, Nobel Prize winner
Robert FERSTENBERG, Morgan Stanley
Jim GATHERAL, Merrill Lynch
Merrell HORA, Credit Suisse
George SOFIANOS, Goldman Sachs

Of course, Robert Engle received the Nobel Prize for his ARCH model, which is used to model/forecast changes in time series volatility.

Robert Almgren was my professor for Econometrics and Statistical Arbitrage at Courant. It was my favorite class at NYU -- he has the rare ability to speak very simply, and coupled with his obvious mastery of the subject, is a truly *wonderful* professor/speaker.

The conference brochure can be found at: http://www.algotradeconf.com/AlgorithmicTrading.pdf

Registration fee:
  • regular: $1199
  • group rate: $899
  • academic rate: $599
  • Courant math-finance student rate: $99

However, I'm told that every student can get in for $99.

I'm going. If anyone wants to meet up there, feel free to contact me.

Pete

Prof. Petter Kolm -the deputy director of the NYU Math Finance program just emailed me about this. He will send me the announcement.

He confirms that $99 price for students.
We would like to extend a special invitation to all students in mathematical or quantitative finance programs (the student community for quants), to participate at the substantially discounted price of $99

It should be very interesting. I would be up to take a vacation day from work for this event.
Is anyone else planning to attend?

If we get a list of students, then I guess registration is simpler ...

Special student discount

As several people have asked me about the student discount, let me confirm it here. Any student enrolled in a mathematical finance or quantitative finance degree program can attend the conference for $99. [The discount is not valid if you are a non-degree student, or are taking a few classes without being enrolled in a mathematical finance degree program.]

Please make sure that you register (information on how to do so is available on the conference web site, http://www.algotradeconf.com/) for the event as we cannot accommodate walk-ins on the day of the event.

We are looking forward to seeing you on October 3!

As several people have asked me about the student discount, let me confirm it here. Any student enrolled in a mathematical finance or quantitative finance degree program can attend the conference for $99. [The discount is not valid if you are a non-degree student, or are taking a few classes without being enrolled in a mathematical finance degree program.]

Please make sure that you register (information on how to do so is available on the conference web site, http://www.algotradeconf.com/) for the event as we cannot accommodate walk-ins on the day of the event.

We are looking forward to seeing you on October 3!

I went to the registration site but I didn't see the option of the $99 special rate for students.

The website is down! Anyone else have problems registering ?

Thanks so much charlesdwright for your informative post. I had no idea about this mail stuff with the stamp and all that.

Except it does me no good if I can't find the registration form to mail due to the site being down. What smart remark do you have for that chaz ?

An answer on Chaz's behalf: go to the brochure posted here, the form is there. Telephone also works (as the registration deadline is either today or yesterday.

Heh...

actually I registered today by phone (and email), so there's still time. Who else is going?

Thanks so much charlesdwright for your informative post. I had no idea about this mail stuff with the stamp and all that.

Except it does me no good if I can't find the registration form to mail due to the site being down. What smart remark do you have for that chaz ?

I see that you can register by email, too: How to send Email.

Ok, Jovee and charlesdwright, you've both had your fun. Please keep this professional.

Back