• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am I qualified for admission to MFE?

sss

What's up guys,

I'm heading into my junior year at SMU, but I am taking the spring semester off to work as a volunteer on the Patagonia conservation. Thus, I have 3 semesters of undergrad left. I'm a Finance major and a math minor and wondering which programs you think I should look into further. I have no way to know whether I am a top-tier candidate based on the programs' websites. I graduate in May 2012 and plan to go through the application process in Fall 2011.

I only missed a few q's on the sat and act and generally do well on standardized test. However, I don't know whether I will have sufficient coursework in quantitative subjects to be accepted to a top program. My (relevant) coursework is as follows:

Finance
Financial Management (Honors)
Money & Capital Markets
Investment Analysis & Portfolio Management (Fall 10)
Advanced Financial Management (Fall 10)
Speculative Markets (Spring 12)
Principles of Risk Management & Insurance (2011-12)

Math
Calc I, II
Calc III (Fall 10)
Elementary Differential Equations (Fall 10)
Linear Algebra (2011-12)
Analysis OR Discrete Math OR Theory of Numbers

I'm also planning to take a computer programming course and a calculus based stats class. I also have work experience at FDIC, Wells Fargo Advisors and currently working at a private equity research analytics firm.

The program that caught my interest initially is Georgia Tech. However, I'm not picky as long as I am accepted into a respectable program. How would you guys evaluate my application?

Thanks
-SSS

Depends what you consider a respectable program. Compared to many applicants I think you will be weak on the math and programming parts and I see you didn't have a class on derivatives. But it does sound like your experience will be more relevant than some applicants.

Any chance of a full-time position at your current job? Your experience looks pretty good, I would recommend trying to get a finance job. You can always go get a MFE later and even a few years of relevant work experience would help after a masters.

I think you would also be a solid candidate for a top MBA program, which often leads to decent jobs on Wall Street.

I think you're strong on the finance side but very weak on the mathematics and programming segment. Relative to top MFE programs, your application is fairly weak. What i would suggest is appling to a MS Finance program. Look for MFin. that allow you to incorporate a lot of quant electives.

Ask yourself why you want to do MFE but took math only as a minor. You need to at least be able to tolerate the idea of doing tons and tons of higher math.

Back