• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Am I too old?

Hi guys,
I would like to ask you my question: I'm 22 years, for family reasons I have already started the univesity, and I' attending a bachelor in engineering at the Politecnico di Milano (Italy), my dreams is to become a financial egineer, I would like to know if I will be too old when I finish my studies (I will be 27 years bachelor+master) to find a quant job? Do you have some advice for me?

Last edited:
Do you have some advice for me? in Italy there are not many job prospects, how muche is important in the USA the age to start a career in the financial engineerig?

Last edited:
only in Europe have I seen jobs with age limitations.
this is a stupid concept, and it doesn't apply in the US from what I've seen so far.
I don't think a company would discriminate based on age except maybe for someone who's close to retirement?

only in Europe have I seen jobs with age limitations.
this is a stupid concept, and it doesn't apply in the US from what I've seen so far.
I don't think a company would discriminate based on age except maybe for someone who's close to retirement?

Age discrimination is rampant in the US based on what I've read (including some examples above). From quant finance forums I gather that it is not as bad in finance as say Silicon Valley.

I've been told I'm over the age limit for some jobs in Asia where I guess there are no laws against it.

Edit: Some jobs in Asia, not all I hope.

Last edited:
OK. these policies are quite unforgiving for late bloomers like Tiasilverman
and I (26 yo junior student). I guess that's why it's always good to have some sort of backup plan.

Thank you guys for your replay, I wanna say you I'll finish my studies at 27 maximum could be a problem starting the first job at that age? This coul be my resume when I'll be 27:
- Laurea Triennale at the Politecnico di Milano in
management engineering (in
advance with a good GPA)
- Laurea Magistrale at the Politecnico di Milano in
management engineering (in
advance with a good GPA)
- GRE (with a good mark)
- GMAT (with a good mark)
- GRE (subject in maths) (with a good mark)
- IELTS certification
- MFE Preparatory Online Classes (Ucla University):
- Mathematics, Statistics & Probability
(Preparatory Online Coursefor Financial Engineering)
- C++ Preparatory (Online Course for Financial Engineering)
- work experience/ intership in finance (from 1 year to 2 years)
Could my resume be competitive?

Last edited:
Thank you I have an other (and the last) question: according to you to work in finance (quant job, risk manager, financial engineer...) is better taking a Phd in finance/financial engineering/management engineering or a master in financial engineering or an MBA?

I think that engineering skills are useful, but not necessarily what you'd get in QF program. I sense a backlash because of the huge numbers of people coming out of these programs. They're great at math but poor at communication and often lacking in real world problem-solving skills

Thank you Ken, but according to you after a bachelor and a master degree in management engineering I have to do a master in financial engineering or a Phd in finance? How muche is important having a Phd to be more competitive?

Why take a master in management engineering if you don't wanna use it.

It should be possible to take a master in financial engineering after your bachelor.

my intensions are to take a bachelor degree and a master degree in management engineering in advanced and after to take a master in financial engineering (I'll be 27 years). At 27 years with a bachelor and 2 masters I could have more chances to take a great job

I strongly doubt that. Taking a master you don't wanna use, just seems like waste of time.

You will not be a better quant by having to masters.

Back