• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Any advice to get into these programs specifically?

Hi all,

I'm currently pursuing becoming a (quant) trader.
I have a 3.5 and studying mathematics and economics with a minor in computer science. I've always wanted to get a higher education and don't really want to commit 6 years of my life to a PhD in math or econ, so I gravitated toward Financial Engineering programs.
Even though I go to a t20 school (UCLA), since my GPA is low (~3.5), I figured it would probably be best to pursue a higher education to maximize the likelihood of finding a top job (either at a BB Bank/HF/Prop shop), especially given the job market.

The schools I'm currently considering are MIT's MFin, NYU Courant Mathematics in Finance Masters, UChicago Financial Mathematics Masters, Stanford's MCF (in this order of preference), and possibly Haas MFE.

Do these programs look for any specific type of candidate? Thanks!

I was wondering what others would advise strengthening an application to these schools specifically. I have two relevant internships, and relevant quantitative Finance projects, and can probably score in this range for a GRE: Q=~165+, V=~165+, AW = ~4 (given my SAT).

Again my biggest fear is that I end up having a poor GPA (~3.2) and I am neither good enough to get into (quant trading) roles during the Winter2023/Spring2024 recruitment cycle, nor get into one of these prestigious programs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'll leave the GPA for the end.
Your education should be good enough to get into several of these programs, you breeze by the standard requirements (assuming you learned the stuff, which is probably true). NYU, UChicago, and Haas all have acceptance rates at or over 20%, and you will meet their educational requirements nicely. Your work experience will be the cornerstone, build everything off of that. Find great recommenders who know you well and can articulate it, and then write a solid essay and I think you'll have a good shot.

MIT is harder, but their program is huge, so slightly misleading as they probably get a bunch of applications (1913 of them...) from standard business people who saw the name and thought it was cool but haven't prepared as much as you will have for that position.
I have no feel for the MCF, a few people here have mentioned it but personally I have no clue.

Don't let your GPA fall to a 3.2 though, 3.5 is excusable if you can prove competence but once you get lower some tough questions have to be asked. It's still doable (probably, I don't know anyone with that- but, you know, theoretically. Probably not the programs you want) it's just a lot harder. No need to do that to yourself.

I'll leave the GPA for the end.
Your education should be good enough to get into several of these programs, you breeze by the standard requirements (assuming you learned the stuff, which is probably true). NYU, UChicago, and Haas all have acceptance rates at or over 20%, and you will meet their educational requirements nicely. Your work experience will be the cornerstone, build everything off of that. Find great recommenders who know you well and can articulate it, and then write a solid essay and I think you'll have a good shot.

MIT is harder, but their program is huge, so slightly misleading as they probably get a bunch of applications (1913 of them...) from standard business people who saw the name and thought it was cool but haven't prepared as much as you will have for that position.
I have no feel for the MCF, a few people here have mentioned it but personally I have no clue.

Don't let your GPA fall to a 3.2 though, 3.5 is excusable if you can prove competence but once you get lower some tough questions have to be asked. It's still doable (probably, I don't know anyone with that- but, you know, theoretically. Probably not the programs you want) it's just a lot harder. No need to do that to yourself.
Thanks for the response!
Just an update: I was also considering CMU's MSCF, Princeton/Columbia/Cornell. It looks like I'll be graduating with a 3.4 with a research paper on volatility trading (finished with real analysis classes and have a 3.1 right now and have easy classes left). Job hunting is proving fairly difficult due to my current GPA, but im looking to work in some sort of trading role that would take me, if not ill probably end up doing FP&A I guess. One of my internships got canceled, so it looks like ill only have one relevant internship experience in RM, as the other was a brief stint in WM. I took the GRE for the first time last week and got a 170Q/168V. Not sure what my chances are for these programs, but I most likely won't end up pursuing them because even at a 3.4 I don't stand much of a chance.

Last edited:
You should still apply to all the programs you want, never count yourself out here. If you don't apply, no chance you get in; if you do, there is still a not inconsequential chance you do.

Your GPA isn't where you wished it was, yes, but it will definitely not kill your application. You're still in this race, see it through to the end.

For places like NYU and Chicago, make sure you are rock solid in your math and comp sci/coding fundamentals. The econ and finance knowledge will almost be irrelevant because they expect to teach you that during the program, although it will tell them you are "passionate" about the subject at least. The internships plus the relevant coursework will aid you greatly.

For places like NYU and Chicago, make sure you are rock solid in your math and comp sci/coding fundamentals. The econ and finance knowledge will almost be irrelevant because they expect to teach you that during the program, although it will tell them you are "passionate" about the subject at least. The internships plus the relevant coursework will aid you greatly.
Yea my best grades were actually in my math/coding classes. My GPA was heavily impacted by covid family trauma, and test-taking mistakes from before I was diagnosed/medicated for ADHD. Thank you for the response

You should still apply to all the programs you want, never count yourself out here. If you don't apply, no chance you get in; if you do, there is still a not inconsequential chance you do.

Your GPA isn't where you wished it was, yes, but it will definitely not kill your application. You're still in this race, see it through to the end.
I guess you're right. I'll update you as I go, maybe I can do this.

Yea my best grades were actually in my math/coding classes. My GPA was heavily impacted by covid family trauma, and test-taking mistakes from before I was diagnosed/medicated for ADHD. Thank you for the response
If your best grades were in math/Comp SCI then you've got a much better shot than your GPA makes us assume. Those are the ones that matter, the others are almost inconsequential in comparison. If you're batting a bunch of A's and a couple B's in the quantitative ones and then lower elsewhere you're actually in a pretty decent spot. They will check the transcript for this specific reason.

Back