• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Any chance in getting a quant job, or something simliar, with just an undergrad?

Im a math/economics major going into my junior year with a few problems. Last semester I became extremely sick during the second half of my last semester and failed all of my finals. This brought my gpa down below a 3.0. My gpa is already low due to my regrettably neglected gen ed courses.

I am thinking of dropping the economics major and focusing solely on less but more difficult math courses. Thus attempting to bring up my gpa, but consequently would only have a math degree. Would it be better to do this, or rather to stick with economics, which I find to be easy/interesting but time consuming.

I was originally planning on getting my masters in applied math. But now considering my low gpa, would it be beneficial for me to stay in economics? considering the fact that having a double major would make it easier for me to get a good job in the case that I dont attend masters school?

Also if im not going to masters school will taking graduate classes such as numerical analysis, schocastic calculus, PDE, and other such classes give me any chance of finding my way into a quant position? Surely it will help, but is the extra effort going to qualify me for a better job despite my lack of a masters? im considering loading up on grad classes and skipping masters school altogether and perhaps spending an extra semester at school to do so, anyone ever heard of doing this? Im thinking if i master these courses, I may have found a loophole...

This is all assuming I get As in the difficult classes, which I know i can.

Economics is good stuff to know but probably won't help you get a quant job.

Unless you know someone in the industry already I don't think you have a chance at a quant job with your low gpa. Why would someone hire you over the math major with a 4.0?

Now I imagine you can get a job somewhere after you graduate with math/economics or just math, but it won't necessarily be what you want.

If quant stuff is what you want to do then I think your best option is to get a masters (do extremely well) and your current university is probably your best bet for that.

My strategy would be to finish the math degree, learn to program well and get a job as a developer in a financial institution.
I would work there for a few years, make some money and contacts. After a year or so, move internally to align my job with my ambitions.
Then apply to grad school for a degree in Applied Math/MFE.

Back