• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

any opinion on this program?

financial
The introduction and curriculum is here. I haven't made up my mind whether I should choose this area, or software engineering or other areas in computer.
Appreciate your comments.

This program looks like any standard CIS program. There is an ENM Intro to Prob and Stat but there is no mention of any finance course. Probably this will prepare students for IT jobs in banks ? The website states that

This course of study prepares students for cutting edge careers in finance and industry

I think one needs to learn more than those CIS courses for anything remotely cutting edge.

This program looks like any standard CIS program. There is an ENM Intro to Prob and Stat but there is no mention of any finance course. Probably this will prepare students for IT jobs in banks ? The website states that

This course of study prepares students for cutting edge careers in finance and industry

I think one needs to learn more than those CIS courses for anything remotely cutting edge.
So how about these two courses? Aren't these financial courses?
(d) Two Operations and Information Management (Wharton School of Business) courses:
OPIM 661/Systems Analysis, Design, and Implementation (Fall & Spring)
OPIM 672/Decision Support Systems (Fall & Spring)

So how about these two courses? Aren't these financial courses?
(d) Two Operations and Information Management (Wharton School of Business) courses:
OPIM 661/Systems Analysis, Design, and Implementation (Fall & Spring)
OPIM 672/Decision Support Systems (Fall & Spring)
They look like CIS courses, they read like CIS courses then they mostly are CIS courses. In all fairness, they teach application system that will be used in many industries, financial is one of them. :D
I'm amazed of how far some programs will go to put a Finance stamp on everything to sell. But what do I know, I have never even heard of this program. You should probably have better answers from a student studying there.

OPIM-661: SYSTEMS ANALYSIS, DESIGN, AND IMPLEMENTATION
This course is about the problem of designing, developing, and managing large, complex systems. This problem is regularly faced by nearly all managers and other professionals throughout their careers. The purpose of the course is twofold. First, we aim to familiarize students with the issues involved in conceiving, designing, building, and maintaining the kinds of large-scale, complex information systems now required for commercial (and governmental) purposes. Second, we aim to provide students with experience working with the main tools and techniques in systems analysis, design, and implementation. Special focus will be given to modern object-oriented design methodologies, and methodologies appropriate for Internet-based electronic commerce (e.g., UML and modern CASE tools).
OPIM-672: DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS
With the advances in computers, databases, communications and Internet technologies, modern organizations nowadays collect massive amounts of data on about everything we do – what we buy, the phone calls we make, payment records, financial transactions, loan applications and others. Analyzing data on this scale and converting it into knowledge to affect decision making, presents exciting new challenges. This course discusses DSS for business applications with a focus on data mining modeling and analysis. Data mining is a new generation of computerized technologies for discovering knowledge hidden in large amounts of data. It is an interdisciplinary field lying at the interface of Statistics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. The application areas of data mining cut across many industries, including marketing, financial, retail, telecommunication, and in fact any data-rich industry. Business applications include direct and database marketing, CRM, risk management, fraud detection, web mining, recommendation systems and many others. The goal of this course is to bridge the gap between theory and practice and empower the students to apply data mining solutions in real world applications. This course is practically-oriented, emphasizing the knowledge discovery process, economical considerations and implementation issues. Real world assignments, involving realistic data, provide the students with hands-on experience in using data mining in practice.
In today’s complex business environment and tough competition, understanding the power of data mining is an asset that is certain to open up more challenging career opportunities for the Wharton graduates.

They look like CIS courses, they read like CIS courses then they mostly are CIS courses. In all fairness, they teach application system that will be used in many industries, financial is one of them. :D
I'm amazed of how far some programs will go to put a Finance stamp on everything to sell. But what do I know, I have never even heard of this program. You should probably have better answers from a student studying there.
Thank you! So maybe I should not consider this option at all. Maybe I should choose software engineering option. It seems that software engineering is also making a lot of money?:D

Back