• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Anyone can recommend good STL and BOOST books?

For Boost, the only thing I can find is the following book. It has mixed reviews.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=quantfinaneng-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=0321133544&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=FFFFFF&bg1=F7F7F7&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Austern's STL book 1999 is outdated; I would go for Josuttis.

I used Austern by using his (tiny) code examples, some of which did not compile. It's a reference, more than a 'how to'.

BTW his book has 548 pages. Where did 100 pages come from?

Josuttis uses big letter types and gives many complete examples.

I suppose it boils down to personal preferences. Learn by doing and do by learning. One could take the viewpoint of using both..

//
In 1999 STL was not yet stable and there were still some functionality that was not quite standard. That's when the books came out, so they were probably written in 1997??

I used Austern by using his (tiny) code examples, some of which did not compile. It's a reference, more than a 'how to'.

//
In 1999 STL was not yet stable and there were still some functionality that was not quite standard. That's when the books came out, so they were probably written in 1997??
Your comments show that you have not read Austern. You just read the reviews on Amazon. The book contains 100 pages of STL description and the rest contains STL manual.
According to you both books were published in 1997 so both were obsolete.
I prefer Austern because he wrote most(all?) of the original implementation of STL. I got more insight into STL by reading his book than any other book.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

Josuttis uses big letter types and gives many complete examples.

I suppose it boils down to personal preferences. Learn by doing and do by learning. One could take the viewpoint of using both..

//
You have not answered my question "What has changed since 1999 in STL?" or since 1997

"Your comments show that you have not read Austern. You just read the reviews on Amazon"

FYI, I have been working with STL even before it was a standard (1995) and C++ since 1989. In my courses I used ObjectSpace, Musser, Austern, Josuttis.

Here's an old course on STL that we don't give really anymore. I remember we started it in 1995..

http://www.datasim.nl/Education/CourseDetails.asp?CategoryID=CPP&CourseID=CPP-STL

Speaking of reviews; Josuttis (98, 5*) and Austern (15, 4.5*). I am neutral on this issue. If you like a book, good for you. I have used all these books with students: they chose for Josuttis :)

Happy new year to all Quantnetters

Hi Lugh and elliot,

Thank you very much for answering my question. Different people have different learning preference, so I am glad both of you recommended your preferred book, which gave me a chance of more choices.

I got both books of Josuttis and Austern from our school library. Looks like both are great book. For a beginner like me, looks like Josuttis' book matches me better, and Austern's book is more like a reference manual. Maybe I am wrong, but I will start with Josuttis ' book.

Again, thanks both of you very much.

featips,
You're welcome.
Personally - when starting on something new - I take a bottom-up ('get it working') approach by taking 101 examples to learn how the library works. After a while you find it easy and then you want to go beyond the examples and then you want to know what else is on offer (then the reference).

Back