• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rutgers MSMF Anyone still waiting to hear from Rutgers MSMF 2010 ???

Hi everyone

Just wanted to know if anyone else is waiting for an admit from Rutgers MSMF 2010.
I applied during the first week of january and still haven't heard from them.....

One more thing.....How many students does Rutgers admit to its MSMF program?? i read somewhere they take about a 100.......is that true?

According to our Tracker, there are 3 students who have been admitted in Fed and early March.
The admitted and enrolled numbers are different.

According to the director of Rutgers MSMF program, they had about 51 students enrolled in Fall 2009 out of about 250 applicants. They may have admitted 100 to get the 50 students
The number of applications for Fall 2009 admission increased by about 15% relative to last year, exceeding 250. As of June 15, 2009, we expect an incoming class of 51, with 19 domestic and 32 international students.
Mathematics Department - 2009 Newsletter

admitted 100 to get 50? it seems like they pretty much accepted half of the students who applied. How could they end up as the top 10 program on the advanced trading according to their high acceptance rate?

Seriously ??
the ranking is not based on acceptance rate , it is based on how good the program is...........
its good to know they send out admits to so many students......
From what i have heard on this forum its a good program........i'll take it if i get through

I read the article long time ago. I only knew the rank is based on the Wall Street recruitability -- the programs from which Wall Street firms recruit and the programs that produce the best quants.

go back and read the article again. I'm sorry but I don't think it has anything to do with what you just said.

I got accepted to Rutgers MSMF 2010 Fall, Boston Univ.

I am kind of confused as to whether Rutgers is actually top ten or not, as they did not count Baruch which is one of the best.

So, guys I have read the articles and forums, but simply do you guys think the ranking holds less of a value.

Hey i got through Rutgers too........
Let me know if you are planning to accept it...
I am waiting for Columbia MS-OR now....but i'll probably head to Rutgers..

The ranking holds less value just because it doesn't have Baruch in top 10 ???

Personally i think Baruch and Rutgers are equally good.....Baruch just has a better location.......

Rohan, I seriously doubt that Baruch and Rutgers fall in the same category. Baruch is really good!!! Look at their acceptance rates, lower than Berkeley's.

And yet Berkeley is the better program hands down........

I mean seriously whats with people in this forum and acceptance rates......
Just because Baruch has a lower acceptance rate does not necessarily make it a better program..........

What i am trying to say is that there's a good chance that u r right but there's an equally good chance that u aren't.......

Plenty of people on GD have criticized the Baruch program openly and the same holds true for Rutgers.....

Yeah! that may be true. I am not sure.

Anyways, so what is your background like. Mine is in computer engineering trying to move to Finance. I was choosing between mba and mfe. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

This might be a dumb question: but, have you thought about mba and if yes, why mfe?

Mine is pretty similar to yours....
IT engineer trying to move to finance....

I did consider going for an MBA degree
To be honest it wont have mattered ......i would have aimed for a job with a financial firm either ways.....MFE is better if you know what you want and u r sure about it......
Unlike the mandatory generic courses(of marketing, HR etc) that MBAs have, MFE is just finance with programming...... i don't really mind coding that much so it was easy for me to opt for MFE.....

Didnt do that well in CAT and XAT either(94 percentile in both) .........Considering the additional criteria that has been imposed by IIMs this time around (10th and 12th 90 percent), getting an MBA from a good university is just going to get tougher......Even MDI and SP Jain have become more selective......FMS is of course notorious for its low acceptance rate....

i have about 2- 2 1/2 years experience so GMAT won't have been a logical option either.....Since i am not a prodigy from IIT, i probably would have ended up doing my MBA from a 2 tier or 3 tier (that too with a little luck) no matter what my GMAT score would have been.........

So i guess MFE made more sense, at least for me....

Are you on for the math: 80-90% of mfe is just pure math. I am not bad at math (or thats what I think), but certainly I am not a math major.

Are you on for the math: 80-90% of mfe is just pure math. I am not bad at math (or thats what I think), but certainly I am not a math major.

90% is a bit exaggerated. Math, as a generic term, is essential, a requirement, however implementation can be just as important. Most MFE will have at least 30% of courses with a heavy implementation side.

i am not a math major either........As if i had a choice !!
Look if u r not so keen on maths it wont make much of a difference whether u opt for mathematical finance or financial engineering.......its pretty much the same........

i am not a math major either........As if i had a choice !!
Look if u r not so keen on maths it wont make much of a difference whether u opt for mathematical finance or financial engineering.......its pretty much the same........

I would not say math is my weakest point, but certainly nath is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am more keen on business or finance. So I guess I just need to decide as to whether mfe would be the right career choice

Back