• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Applied Mathematics vs. Statistics/Stochastic Processes

Hi all, I'm considering majoring in applied math or stats as per the title. I'm learning towards being a quant or working at a hedge fund in the future. Ignoring the exposure to R/matlab from stats classes, is it a no brainer to take stats? I'm kind of leaning towards apmath

cheers

Stats would be more suitable of course, but if you prefer applied maths, just go for it. You’ll catch up basic stats for interviews and it’ll be alright.
I’m pretty sure applied maths is not that far from stats by the way. Can you name some topics included in the major ?

apmath: complex analysis – numerical methods – stochastic modelling – applied mathematical modelling
stats/stochastic: linear statistical models – stochastic modelling – probability for inference – modern applied statistics

yeah so looks like there is even a crossover of stochastic modelling so I would at least be given some exposure to (higher) level stats which is good.

How does your program work ? Can you have some sort of minor, or select courses from other majors?
the applied math courses seem very interesting
I think the linear models course may be interesting for interviews. Other than that, other courses are less « math culture » that any quant should know

I'm actually taking this subject as a minor and as such I'm only limited to taking 8 or so subjects within our math department. 4 or so subjects that I have excluded are prerequisites that all first/second years have to take, leaving the final 4 (which I've listed) as those that determine your 'major (minor)'

btw the other 4 are like calculus II/real analysis/linear algebra/vector calculus/differential equations

I kind of feel like the stats/prob I might be able to self-study primarily for the interview so I could probably just go with my gut and go with apmath

What’s your major ? Is there any chance it intersects with either app math or stats ?

if you can take regression/econometrics courses in your major, app math would compliment that well

I plan too! Thanks for you input. To be honest I'm not entirely sure exactly why I posted since it seems like in my mind I'm pretty cemented in app math.

Back