• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Appropriate hairstyle for grad school student and young professional

Hi, guys!

I'm 24 y.o. and just starting my Ph.D. in Mathematics in the U.S with intention to join industry rather than academia further. Recently I start to worry a little about appearance and need your advice. I'm fond of long male hairstyles and currently look like a Richard Branson, that means not as long as "rock & metal style", but definitely longer than any casual male haircut with hair covers the ears. Overall I'm rather handsome white guy (from Eastern Europe) and prefer to wear shirts, pants and jeans with casual looking suits, so think that my appearance is neat.

May a long hairstyle prevent me from some opportunities in conference networking, getting internships and job? Should I get an ordinary short haircut (to be honest, I have always found myself awful after that)? Are there any men with long hair (in any sense, including bun or ponytail) in quant roles? Definitely it is unlikely acceptable in IBD and other more client oriented departments, but maybe there are less restrictions on quants.

Go on a tour of a Wall Street or City trading floor/dealing room. If you can't go on a tour, look for photos on the internet. Look at how those people look. You might not want to stand out in the interview process. Once you're established, there is often a bit more flexibility.

Agree with Daniel. And still you have about 5 years before going into the market. You don't know how culture might change by then.

Overall I'm rather handsome white guy (from Eastern Europe).
Hahahahahahahaha. Seriously was that info relevant?

Hasek, I too feel like this is a serious topic as appearances can play a major role in the hiring process. I feel like you are wanting to show your prospective employer that you can be business oriented at times, but also can loosen up at parties. I'd go with this hairstyle, especially if you can grow decent facial hair.

I wear a man bun...don't know, I'd think your ability to sell your skills matter than hairstyle. I'm a pretty handsome East Asian man for what it's worth. ;)

hahahaha. I am raising my man bun and I have the same concern as you. I'm afraid I have to cut it off soon after I am able to tie it up. It's sad since I have been raising for half a year.

hahahaha. I am raising my man bun and I have the same concern as you. I'm afraid I have to cut it off soon after I am able to tie it up. It's sad since I have been raising for half a year.
I keep my (gray) hair short so that my opponents don't pull my hair :D BTW that's me on the ground.
A judoka with a man bun might be too conspicuous.

29594600_1727979377260222_7192646838096237189_n.jpg

Back