Young College Student Looking for Grad. School Tips/Advice

If you want to do MFE, then maybe yes.

You should take a look at the mock test first, and see how comfortable you feel about it. A large part is abstract algebra, I dont think you will learn that in finance.

I dont want to see you waste a couple of months on this test. It only slightly helps your application. You could have put that time into something more meaningful.

I you are a math genius, then do it.
Does it help me at all when applying to a master of finance program? Aside from all the other stuff I mentioned, I feel like this test is the only additional thing I can do for myself.

Does it help me at all when applying to a master of finance program? Aside from all the other stuff I mentioned, I feel like this test is the only additional thing I can do for myself.

no help for MSF.

Prepare for interviews, follow the market, build connections, learn technical skills (maybe EXCEL for MSF), do more internships/research projects..there are so much you can do to make you a stronger candidate.

no help for MSF.

Prepare for interviews, follow the market, build connections, learn technical skills (maybe EXCEL for MSF), do more internships/research projects..there are so much you can do to make you a stronger candidate.
How about being C++ certified through the Baruch college online program thing offered here? Should I do that? What other technical skills are out there?

Hey, maybe my backgroung will cheer you up.

I am from Czech Republic and I've been studying two bachelor degrees - one in math and other in economics and finance at Charles University in Prague. That is the best school in CR, maybe even in the middle european region, but ranks somwhere like 350 in the world rankings, so definitely not target. (However I think that such general rankings are complete bulls*** and what really matters is what you learn in the school)

My GPA definitely wasn't top, approximately 3.2 at both schools (although we have a different grading in CR and studying two degrees = 8-12 subjects per semester). Apart from school, I've had two internships, both in data analytics (IBM, KPMG) so not really MFE stuff. As for the tests, I've had 167 from GRE quantitative section, so again not top. It didn't really bother me, because the math in GRE quant compared to the math in MFE degrees is like comparing addition and subtraction of natural numbers to measure theory.

I took the GRE math subject test and scored little over 70% (with like 2 days of preparation) and since none of the programs I've applied to wanted the math subject test, I didn't retake it. However I think that the GRE subject test score examines your preparedness for MFE degree math much more than the quant part in the regular GRE. (Like really - can anyone explain to me how should your knowledge of high school geometry, arithmetics, reading tables etc. (stuff in GRE quant) determine your preparedness to take subjects such as stochastic processes, PDEs, optimization, etc?)

And this year I've got into Columbia's MFE and CMU MCU (attending Columbia).

So to sum it up - I think you definitely have a shot at the top programs if you keep doing what you wrote you plan to do. And I think that if you can score 70%+ in the GRE math subject test, it will definitely help you.

Wish you a good luck,
Marek

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. This thread has really given more confidence and foresight to pursue these goals. I'm probably going to take the subject test since I'm already or plan to do everything else I can possibly do to show these schools I'm worth it plus I have a lot of time ahead of me so it's not like I'm spreading anything thin.

If his goal is to be a quant, will companies even interview him if he has a MS Finance? I had though quant researchers => PhD (or really good MS in a mathematical subject), quant developers => MFE/MS FinMath.

If his goal is to be a quant, will companies even interview him if he has a MS Finance? I had though quant researchers => PhD (or really good MS in a mathematical subject), quant developers => MFE/MS FinMath.

I only know people from Princeton's MSF program got into quant.

But OP did not say he wanted to do quant.

I'm not entirely sure what field/specialization of finance I want to get into, but I just assumed going to a general MFin program might be my route for like financial analysis/advising work.

Ah, ok then. I just know that for a quant developer a MSFinance typically won't cut it because you need a computer science background and for a quant researcher companies seem to prefer PhDs (my MS in computer science doesn't get any invitations for quant researcher interviews).

Back