• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Ask for advice

Hi everyone, I come from China and I'm new here. I want to ask for advice about future career plan.
Something about myself:
I'm a junior with engineering background and I'm planning to apply MFE program in North America this year. But what bothers me is the work I will do after graduation. If I prefer to deal with people rather than with computers, is it sensible for me to apply MFE? I mean, can I gradually transform from a quant to manager or something like that? I know it is relatively easy for foreigners to find a job requiring concrete technique. So my plan is to accumulate experience for several years in America and finally I want to come back to China.
Looking for your advice~

Connor that is a great comment. Could you please share with me your professional profile. Are you in the industry right now.

My idea is to get MFE/MSMF (Rutgers or Boston - got acceptance) and then work for a while to get some finance exp. Go for MBA and into IB/Trading

What do you think. Is it a long shot.

I am currently an engineer and might even have a full time offer with a great salary and I am leaving all of that to get into finance.

Another route might be: job and CFA, then MBA, but even then I wont actually have the finance work exp. Dont know if any bank would want to hire me even with a mba

Depends what you want to do, I believe we have a number of members here that have done a MFE and gone into trading.

Historically having an engineering job, then getting CFA and going for a MBA could get you in at an IB but whether this trend will continue in the future it is hard to say.

If you really want an MBA, you could consider a MBA/MFE. I think a number of programs have this now, two that come to mind are Columbia and NYU.

Back