• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Looking for advice on what to work on for MFE spring 2024

Good afternoon,

I am looking to get advice on my chances to get accepted into a top MFE school as well as any skills I might need to improve. Here is my background:

US Navy 2001-2007: Hardware Technical type work, similar to what an Electrical Technician may perform
2007-2018: Systems Engineer
2018-2021: DevOps Engineer (scripting, programming work in python)

I started a Trading business in 2015 running stocks and options. I use Amibroker as my analysis tool and programming and Norgate as my Database.

I have about 60 credits in Electrical Engineering from Northern VA community college
40 Credits in Finance from George Mason University
Computer Science Degree with a minor in small business Administration from University of Maryland Global Campus: 3.92 GPA

I plan on taking the CQF in June 2023 which should help some of my math skills and get me familiar with the Quantitative concepts.

I see right now that I need to work on Math and Statistics since CS is not very heavy on those things.

Thanks!

If you get the CQF, you don't need an MFE. If you have a trading business... you don't need an MFE. Your ability to trade might be able to get you a "front office" quant job, with some prep. How much? Well, not 1 years worth. If you could read/implement Patrick Boyle's book, Steven Shreve's book(s) or a Quant Finance for Python book (such as by Chris Kelliher) and survive, then you'd be better off using your implementations as a portfolio, and applying for quant jobs directly.

Otherwise, keep your coding skills fresh. The language is irrelevant, as the school will push more than one upon you, and industry will push a few others. Explore more complex trading concepts. Find a checklist of prerequisite classes (like linear algebra) and self-study or do an online course (with certificate) in the critical ones.

Back