• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

B-school professor switches to be a quant - is it possible?

I am currently a b-school assistant professor (in MIS) but have been thinking to switch my career path for quite a while (realized I am really not an academia type of person). I knew a little about being a quant when I was doing my PhD, but apparently never got a chance to have a closer look. But now I am seriously considering if this may be a possible path. I had my undergrad and master in computer science from a top university, and a PhD in information systems (with emphasis on statistics and computational learning) also from a top 20 university. I understand this is not a traditional degree and experience people will seek from a quant, so I would like to hear more suggestions from here. I like working with numbers and a bit programming. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!

Hi @kayabear

I would suggest to excel your programming skills and improve(academically) your math background. It is desirable to take some masters course. I think that MFE would be a good choice since you are from information systems background. So it'll help you concentrate on much programming and find yourself in mathematical modeling. But take into account that some programming experience and/or academic background is needed before applying.

If you have a top school PhD just reach out to headhunters. They will get you something to match your skills.

Information systems and quantitative field can be close but possible mismatch of desired position would encourage you to getting masters degree. I personally suggest so. Then I'd directly reach headhunters (you can do it directly now also).

I am currently a b-school assistant professor (in MIS) but have been thinking to switch my career path for quite a while (realized I am really not an academia type of person). I knew a little about being a quant when I was doing my PhD, but apparently never got a chance to have a closer look. But now I am seriously considering if this may be a possible path. I had my undergrad and master in computer science from a top university, and a PhD in information systems (with emphasis on statistics and computational learning) also from a top 20 university. I understand this is not a traditional degree and experience people will seek from a quant, so I would like to hear more suggestions from here. I like working with numbers and a bit programming. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!

I think you need not even require to apply for MFE, the place where i work most of the candidates are not MFE's but PHDs and they are really good what they do, so try reaching out to head hunters and be prepared with maths/puzzles question. MFE program is for people like me who have lots of programming experience but less on the financial side :)

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful suggestions. I will definitely check out the resources you provide and figure out more. Thanks again! Will keep you posted as how it goes. ;)

Back