• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Barry Bonds hit Home Run 756 !!

Yes, he deserves to be in the HOF. He was HOF-bound before his home run bonanza.

That 22-year old Mets fan has got a ball worth 300-500k.

Don't worry Andy, Alex will break the record soon enough. Then no one will care about Bonds, except with regards to the 'roids.

Andy, can you post a link to what you are talking about? :)

Thanks Andy :) I see what its all about.

If they prove that he's been using something, they'll probably take the record from him. Until then, he is the record holder. But I'm in no way an expert :)

I don't think he will be automatic but he will make the HOF. He was a HOF player since he was with the Pirates

2 million US dollars is a way too much :) what about baseball bats that hit those balls ;)

They didn't even test for steroids until recently. MLB and the union were really resistant to this. So it will be hard to really prove anything about BB.

From Wikipedia:
History of baseball in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drugs, baseball, and records
The lure of big money pushed players harder and harder to perform at their peaks. There is only so much conditioning that one can do to obtain an edge without inducing injury. The wearying travel schedule and 162-game season meant that amphetamines, usually in the form of pep pills known as "greenies", had been widespread in baseball since at least the 1960s. Baseball's drug scene was no particular secret, having been discussed in Sports Illustrated[6] and in Jim Bouton's groundbreaking book Ball Four, but there was virtually no public backlash. But now, two decades later, some Major League players turned to newer performance enhancing drugs, including ephedra and improved steroids.
A memo circulated in 1991 by baseball commissioner Fay Vincent said, "The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players and personnel is strictly prohibited ... [and those players involved] are subject to discipline by the Commissioner and risk permanent expulsion from the game.... This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs and controlled substances, including steroids..."[7] Some general managers of the time do not remember this memo, and it was not emphasized or enforced.
Ephedra, a Chinese herb used to cure cold symptoms, and also used in some allergy medications, sped up the heart and was considered by some to be a weight-loss short-cut. Overweight pitcher Steve Bechler, who wanted to stay on the Baltimore Orioles roster, took just such a shortcut. He collapsed while pitching, and was soon pronounced dead.[8] Bechler's death raised concerns over the use of performance enhancing drugs in baseball. Ephedra was banned, and soon the furor died down.
The 1998 home run race had generated nearly unbroken positive publicity, but Barry Bonds run for the all-time home run record provoked a backlash over steroids, which increase a person's testosterone level and subsequently enable that person to bodybuild with much more ease. Some athletes have said that the main advantage to steroids is not so much the additional power or endurance that they can provide, but that they can drastically shorten rehab time from injury.
Commissioner Bud Selig imposed a very strict anti-drug policy upon its minor league players, who are not part of the Major League Baseball Players Association (the PA). Random drug testing, education and treatment, and strict penalties for those caught were the rule of law. Anyone on the forty man roster, including 15 minor leaguers that are on that list, were exempt from that program. Some called Selig's move a public relations stunt, or window dressing.
In a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2002, a year after his retirement, Ken Caminiti admitted that he had used steroids during his National League MVP-winning 1996 season, and for several seasons afterwards. Caminiti died unexpectedly of an apparent heart attack in The Bronx at the age of 41; he was pronounced dead on October 10, 2004 at New York's Lincoln Memorial Hospital. On November 1, the New York City Medical Examiners Office announced that Caminiti died from "acute intoxication due to the combined effects of cocaine and opiates," but coronary artery disease and cardiac hypertrophy (an enlarged heart) were also contributing factors.
In 2005, José Canseco published a book admitting steroid usage and claiming that it was prevalent throughout major league baseball. When the United States Congress decided to investigate the use of steroids in the sport, some of the games most prominent players have come under scrutiny for possibly using steroids. These include Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, and Mark McGwire. Other players, such as José Canseco and Gary Sheffield have admitted to have either knowingly (in Canseco's case) or not (Sheffield's) using steroids. In confidential testimony to the BALCO Grand Jury (that was later leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle), Giambi also admitted steroid use. He later held a press conference in which he appeared to affirm this admission, without actually saying the words. And after an appearance before Congress where he (unlike McGwire) emphatically denied using steroids, "period," slugger Rafael Palmeiro became the first major star to be suspended for violating Major League Baseball's newly strengthened ban on controlled substances. Many lesser players (mostly from the minor leagues) have tested positive for use, as well.
Baseball was taken to task for turning a blind eye to its drug problems. It benefited from these drugs in the ever-increasingly competitive fight for airtime and media attention. MLB and its Players Association finally announced tougher measures, but many felt that they did not go far enough. (See: List of Major League Baseball players suspended for steroids)

Also, it is important to let everybody know that drug testing in professional sports in US is a joke. As far as I remember, there is no blood test in any of the major sports (NBA, MLB or NFL) just urine tests. It means that there are a lot of steroids that are not being captured by the test.

A lot of people criticize the Tour de France because of doping. Well, the tests done in the Tour are primary blood. The same apply on the Olympic games.

This is a tough call. If aaron had taken steroid maybe he would have had 1000 home runs, who knows! Barry is def good, and he def belong to the hall of fame. Even what he accomplished before turning into an hercule-like man, was superb. I guess the fact that he does not have a personality does not help him much with the media and subsequently with the people at large. Had Lance Armstrong had a similar personality, probably the media wouldn't have given much of a break, they would have pursued him just as much as they are pursuing Barry now! Well of course baseball is much more important than cyclism, but both athletes have clouds over their achievements.

Very well said, quantwanabbe !

I have never watched or read any of Bonds interviews, quotes but all of my buddies who are baseball fans say he is a jerk when he faces the media. If true, that definitely does not help him a bit in convincing people that he is clean.

I think the issue is not if he took 'roids or not. The problem is if he "knowingly" took 'roids or not. Does anyone really believe that taking "flax-seed oil" and "cream for his arthritis" that magically allowed him to double his home run output as he approached his 40s? Give me a break, I have more respect for Jason Giambi, since, at the very least, he came clean and admitted the fact he did roids.

Bonds, was a great hitter before, but he most certainly would have ended up with around 580 to 660 homers for his career if he stayed clean. He most certainly wouldn't have broken any records under the guise of fair play. For this, to me, he is forever tainted. He cheated, and isn't deserving IMO of being known as the home run king, as Aaron got there the right way...his natural talent.

For this record breaking achievement, I give him this

southpark803.jpg

Of course, all bets are off if Bonds gets indicted for lying to the Grand Jury. Then, I think he will not make it into the HOF.

Bonds's 756th Homer Ball Sold for $752,467 in Internet Auction

By Dan Bollerman

Sept. 15 (Bloomberg) -- The baseball Barry Bonds hit for his record-breaking 756th home run last month was sold for $752,467.20 in an Internet auction.

Sotheby's and SCP Auctions, which ran the sale, said in a news release that the ball Bonds hit for his 755th homer to tie Hank Aaron for Major League Baseball's career record sold for $186,750.

The two baseballs were part of an online auction of about 1,300 lots of sports memorabilia that began Aug. 28. The buyers of both balls weren't identified by the companies.

Matt Murphy, a 21-year-old student from New York, came up with the record-breaking ball after the San Francisco Giants outfielder hit it into the right-centerfield stands in the fifth inning of a game against Washington at AT&T Park in San Francisco on Aug. 7.

``I had hoped to keep the ball, but when I determined that was not the best strategy at this stage of my life, this definitely was the right decision,'' Murphy said in the statement. ``It is an honor to be a part of baseball history and I wish the new owner well with whatever they elect to do with the ball.''

No. 755

Adam Hughes, a 33-year-old plumber from La Jolla, California, caught the record-tying ball after it was hit into the left-field stands during the second inning of the San Francisco Giants' game against the Padres at Petco Park in San Diego three nights earlier.

``I am very happy with the way things turned out,'' Hughes said. ``Selling the ball in the online auction was the best course of action for me. I wish the new owner all the best with the ball.''

The record-setting ball was estimated by sports memorabilia experts before the auction to be worth $500,000, cutting its value in half because of steroid allegations surrounding Bonds.

Bonds told a grand jury that he used substances he didn't know contained the illegal performance-enhancing drugs, the San Francisco Chronicle reported in 2004. Bonds, 43, has publicly denied using steroids.

The real prize for collectors is the final home run ball of Bonds's career. That one might be worth more than $1 million, a price surpassed by only one baseball in history.

Sotheby's and SCP Auctions sold the baseball Bonds hit for his 700th homer for $102,000 on June 10, 2005.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Bollerman in New York at dbollerman@bloomberg.net

Back