• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE program in pictures

i hate to sound rude/crass/stupid (well maybe not stupid) but where are all the fat people? serious question. are they just not in the pictures or there none? it seems to be a norm/requirement for business students to dress appropriately/physically fit but in the math dept, we consider a sweatshirt and gym shorts fairly well dressed and i barring a few, most dont conform to any notions of fitness. are the overweight ones just weeded out from the very beginning? i doubt there is any correlation between a person's weight and their ability to do good work as a quant but given that the job is in the "business world" and not academia, a certain amount of professionalism in attire is expected i believe. i worry about fitting in. cant sit in a suit and do math or write code. need to be comfortable.

i hate to sound rude/crass/stupid (well maybe not stupid) but where are all the fat people? serious question. are they just not in the pictures or there none? it seems to be a norm/requirement for business students to dress appropriately/physically fit but in the math dept, we consider a sweatshirt and gym shorts fairly well dressed and i barring a few, most dont conform to any notions of fitness. are the overweight ones just weeded out from the very beginning? i doubt there is any correlation between a person's weight and their ability to do good work as a quant but given that the job is in the "business world" and not academia, a certain amount of professionalism in attire is expected i believe. i worry about fitting in. cant sit in a suit and do math or write code. need to be comfortable.
Don't worry about the dress code in schools. But, once you start working, you may have to wear a suit a do Math/programing. Most (if not all Ibanks) require a suit, not sure of hedge funds, though.

Math is not sport to do some gymnastics. :) Suit doesn't much prevent from thinking and writing. You shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts while being at a serious institution.

tsotne, just to give a wee bit of background, i find jeans to be rather uncomfortable and restrictive :)

used to be a power lifter and as such have big legs now which is why i find jeans rather annoying. shorts are my happy medium. if it were up to me, i would wear nothing at...

wait. that might get me fired =/

Math is not sport to do some gymnastics. :) Suit doesn't much prevent from thinking and writing. You shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts while being at a serious institution.

spoken like someone who probably fits easily into their clothes :) not trying to be antagonistic.

there are dress codes where ever i teach however, after winning teacher of the year (as a grad student) a few times now, none of the universities try to get me to dress up. i threatened to quit the first time they brought up the matter. strange part is i was serious.

spoken like someone who probably fits easily into their clothes :) not trying to be antagonistic.

there are dress codes where ever i teach however, after winning teacher of the year (as a grad student) a few times now, none of the universities try to get me to dress up. i threatened to quit the first time they brought up the matter. strange part is i was serious.

Have never paid attention to such detail though:oops:

For the gentleman with big legs that can't fit into jeans, the pictures were taken in Dec in New York City so weather is something should be taken into account.
Jeans, tshirt and sweatpants are typical wear for full-time students. Part-time students arriving to class after work would wear whatever they wear at work.
Very few people wear suit at work, at least in the roles that most part-time MFE students work in. Bear Stearns is long gone. And salesmen, sleek hair brokers need not apply to MFE programs.

that comforts me a wee bit andy. when/if i get a job, then sure, ill accept the responsibilities of an adult and dress the part but although i am 24, i still consider myself a proper student. the teaching jobs are just for sustenance. as such, i adorn the student's uniform and have grown accustomed to it.

There is no conspiracy against fat people at Baruch MFE. I am also a powerlifter (haven't had too much time to train these last few months though), I'm carrying around 180 lbs on a 5'-6'' frame. I'm in the pictures above.

It does seem like a freakish coincidence though... that everybody above is relatively fit.

For the gentleman with big legs that can't fit into jeans, the pictures were taken in Dec in New York City so weather is something should be taken into account.
Jeans, tshirt and sweatpants are typical wear for full-time students. Part-time students arriving to class after work would wear whatever they wear at work.
Very few people wear suit at work, at least in the roles that most part-time MFE students work in. Bear Stearns is long gone. And salesmen, sleek hair brokers need not apply to MFE programs.
Andy, 2 years ago, All BB inv. banks had suits for everybody (unless IT guys or backoffice). I was at Lehman. I guess things changed or just for quants? What about traders?

That must be someplace you work, @AlexandreH
I worked as a desk quant in midtown NYC and from my boss, coworkers and other traders in the nearby desk, I never once seen anyone in suit.
Wait, there were few times, but those are the sales guys from other firms coming to pitch their products to us.
Jeans, tshirts, pants and dress shirts are more like it.

Jeans? Nice!!! I only wore Jeans when I was working Saturday or Sunday (almost every week) :D
Did the bankers (advisory, capital markets...) wear suits where you worked?

You are asking about Investment Banking side which I believe you are right when it comes to wearing business attire.
Most people here are not in that side of the bank business. I worked on the prop trading side, the domain of quant/trader/technical guys so we don't have "clients", but rather "counter-parties". And they most likely wear casual like us ;)

I never thought of this - but come to think of it a good number of our students are going to the gym or to the swimming pool (both of them conveniently located in the same building where the classes take place and where the QuantLab is).

Back