• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch MFE Q&A (ask current students)

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for taking the time to assist us with our questions. I wanted to know if there is a math course that can be done online which enables the prospective students to show their mathematical skills similar to the way in which Baruch's online C++ course helps in the C++ component of the application. I know about the GRE Math subject test but due to the few dates available, I was wondering if there were any other options?

Thank you!
Baruch does not offer the online math course you described. I don't know if there is a well accepted online math course offered elsewhere.

hello everyone
first of all let me use this opportunity to say a big thank you to all you guys
i want to know what you guys think of my c.v? do i have a chance to get accepted to baruch or not

1. i'm 26 years old
2. from Iran (please just keep on reading -_- )
3. MBA in finance from Sharif university (best university in my country / 251 in world / 40 between young universities)
4. GPA 3.93 out of 4 (highest in the history of program )
5. CPA and CFA chart holder (and some other certifications namely equivalent of series 7 and 63 in my country )
6. 5 year of work experience ( 2 years in accounting department of a private holding / 3 years in ER, buy side of the biggest broker in my country)
7. have 16 ISI papers
8. I started programing when i was 18 ( i know some c++, full python and excel vba and a little matlab / recently i've been studying r)
8. some other things i don't think are important (1st in national entrance exam, translated some finance books, can speak English, Japanese, Persian some Chinese and a little Arabic, play classical guitar and so on)

in my own country i'm a well respected individual, but even considering the best case scenario i'm a big fish in a small pond, i would like to try my luck outside of Iran and i have confidence in myself, but sadly no one takes someone like me seriously, now i want to know what you guys think?

and so i would really appreciate your help

kamyar ^_^

Your profile is awesome.
Feel free to ask questions. But if everything you mentioned is real and you have things to back it up you should land in some very good programs.
Don't be scared!

hello everyone

first of all let me use this opportunity to say a big thank you to all you guys
i want to know what you guys think of my c.v? do i have a chance to get accepted to baruch or not

1. i'm 26 years old
2. from Iran (please just keep on reading -_- )
3. MBA in finance from Sharif university (best university in my country / 251 in world / 40 between young universities)
4. GPA 3.93 out of 4 (highest in the history of program )
5. CPA and CFA chart holder (and some other certifications namely equivalent of series 7 and 63 in my country )
6. 5 year of work experience ( 2 years in accounting department of a private holding / 3 years in ER, buy side of the biggest broker in my country)
7. have 16 ISI papers
8. I started programing when i was 18 ( i know some c++, full python and excel vba and a little matlab / recently i've been studying r)
8. some other things i don't think are important (1st in national entrance exam, translated some finance books, can speak English, Japanese, Persian some Chinese and a little Arabic, play classical guitar and so on)

in my own country i'm a well respected individual, but even considering the best case scenario i'm a big fish in a small pond, i would like to try my luck outside of Iran and i have confidence in myself, but sadly no one takes someone like me seriously, now i want to know what you guys think?

and so i would really appreciate your help
Sounds like you have a very solid finance background. Do you also have the necessary mathematics background (see the prerequisites section)? I'd say that you have a chance at being accepted. However, my opinion isn't the one that matters ;)
yes i have the necessary math background, my bachelor was in industrial engineering which is pretty math heavy in my country, for some unknown reasons.

Last edited:
Your profile is awesome.
Feel free to ask questions. But if everything you mentioned is real and you have things to back it up you should land in some very good programs.
Don't be scared!
i can assure you every thing is real :P
the reason i'm so afraid is that i tried to get a job (actually any offer, i even applied for internships) in US and got rejected by all of them, which really shattered my confident and self esteem.

HR people told me that since i was not in US and the job experience i had was not really relevant in nature (we have something called Islamic banking which bans most of practices in modern finance -_-) they could not really offer any thing that worth my while.

so they told me that i should come to US, preferably to further my studies and network while in university.

by the way what do you guys think, is MFE the right degree for what i want to do?

Last edited:
i can assure you every thing is real :P
the reason i'm so afraid is that i tried to get a job (actually any offer, i even applied for internships) in US and got rejected by all of them, which really shattered my confident and self esteem.

HR people told me that since i was not in US and the job experience i had was not really relevant in nature (we have something called Islamic banking which bans most of practices in modern finance -_-) they could not really offer any thing that worth my while.

so they told me that i should come to US, preferably to further my studies and network while in university.

by the way what do you guys think, is MFE the right degree for what i want to do?
I don't think you mentioned what exactly you would like to do career-wise.

I don't think you mentioned what exactly you would like to do career-wise.
yes you are right, i totally forgot :whistle:
i would really like to find work in ER preferably buy side, considering my past i think i will fit there better and i really really like ER

i know that the best way to go about that is to get your mba from a target school, sadly i don't have the money nor the time needed for that, and from what i know getting another mba is not good for my career at all.

truth to be told i don't really care at all, for someone like me who wants in, in wall street any jobs (even becoming an associate audit in big 4) is more than enough, from what i know you can start at any job in wall street and after 2-3 years move to another line of work (well if you rule out investment banking and hedge funds)

so in short i want to find a job, as long as the pay is good (+120k), hours are not investment banking level, and exit options are good, i'll be a happy guy ;)

yes you are right, i totally forgot :whistle:
i would really like to find work in ER preferably buy side, considering my past i think i will fit there better and i really really like ER

i know that the best way to go about that is to get your mba from a target school, sadly i don't have the money nor the time needed for that, and from what i know getting another mba is not good for my career at all.

truth to be told i don't really care at all, for someone like me who wants in, in wall street any jobs (even becoming an associate audit in big 4) is more than enough, from what i know you can start at any job in wall street and after 2-3 years move to another line of work (well if you rule out investment banking and hedge funds)

so in short i want to find a job, as long as the pay is good (+120k), hours are not investment banking level, and exit options are good, i'll be a happy guy ;)
From what I understand, ER does not utilize "quant" skills. So I don't know if an MFE degree is the correct path.

I would suggest getting an opinion from someone with more experience in that field.

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what will be the total expense cost for this program. I know that tuition fees costs $34,000 for international students, apart from that what will be the cost for text books, food, transport, housing things like that

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what will be the total expense cost for this program. I know that tuition fees costs $34,000 for international students, apart from that what will be the cost for text books, food, transport, housing things like that

Hi, thanks for the question. The main expense cost is just what you listed, as of housing (#1), food (#2), commute (#3) and text books (#4).

1. Housing
Most of my classmates rent apartments at Jersey City, the cost ranges from $1,000/m (one bedroom at a shared 3b-apartment) to $ 2,500/m (a studio). If you live in Queens / Brooklyn, the cost could be lower.

2. Food
Roughly speaking $10 per meal, and you might hang out with friends, then the cost could range from $20 to $100 depending on where you go. For me, it takes $1,200/m regularly.

3. Commute
The path train from Jersey City to Manhattan cost $89/m (unlimited), and the NYC MTA cost $129/m (unlimited). With these two cards you could go anywhere in New York City.

4. Text books
If you really want to save money, you don't need to spend anything on this. Professors will print out the materials for you, or they would send out the slides on the forum, you will never be required to buy a book. But to prepare interviews, you had better buy some, which cost around $200 all together.

Hi @Weiyi CHEN

I'm a student from China, applying MFE program now. I'm interested in the Baruch MFE program.

I heard that the admission of your program is very rigorous, with several rounds of interview. I would like to know about the content of interviews. What do professors asks, how should I prepare for it.

I know that it may be a little early to ask about the interview, but I want to prepare it as soon as possible to enhance my chances to be admitted. And if I know the interview is too difficult for me, maybe I should reconsider applying. Anyway, I do admire your program and I will try my best to give it a shot.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Weiyi CHEN

I'm a student from China, applying MFE program now. I'm interested in the Baruch MFE program.

I heard that the admission of your program is very rigorous, with several rounds of interview. I would like to know about the content of interviews. What do professors asks, how should I prepare for it.

I know that it may be a little early to ask about the interview, but I want to prepare it as soon as possible to enhance my chances to be admitted. And if I know the interview is too difficult for me, maybe I should reconsider applying. Anyway, I do admire your program and I will try my best to give it a shot.

Thanks in advance!

It's a nice habit of you to prepare early. : )

Thanks for your interests in Baruch MFE, the contents of the interview change every year but what professors hope to test never changes. The format of the interview is usually spending half an hour talking about your experience on your cv, and next half on technical questions. To prepare -

#cv: Just talk about your experience with others more (e.g. foreign professors at your current school), and get THEM clear what you did, especially on techniques/knowledge you utilized. And listen carefully during the interview.

#technicals: The most direct way is to read this interview book, which is written by the professors/interviewers of our program. The book will help you get familar with quant interview questions, though the interview questions of Baruch MFE will not come from there, at least you would be prepared after reading it. Btw, skip the brainteaser part.

Last edited:
It's a nice habit of you to prepare early. : )

Thanks for your interests in Baruch MFE, the contents of the interview change every year but what professors hope to test never changes. The format of the interview is usually spending half an hour talking about your experience on your cv, and next half on technical questions. To prepare -

#cv: Just talk about your experience with others more (e.g. foreign professors at your current school), and get THEM clear what you did, especially on techniques/knowledge you utilized. And listen carefully during the interview.

#technicals: The most direct way is to read this interview book, which is written by the professors/interviewers of our program. The book will help you get familar with quant interview questions, though the interview questions of Baruch MFE will not come from there, at least you would be prepared after reading it. Btw, skip the brainteaser part.
Thank you very much!! The information you provide is really helpful.(y)(y)(y)
Looking forward to go NYC and join Baruch!!

Hello everyone,

I see that in the official website that there are four rounds of admission, i have the following questions
1.Is there any advantage in applying in the first rounds ??
2.How much time does the admission process take (along with the interview)
3.How many rounds of interview ??
4. On a totally different note, does certification in FRM improve your chances ??

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I see that in the official website that there are four rounds of admission, i have the following questions
1.Is there any advantage in applying in the first rounds ??
2.How much time does the admission process take (along with the interview)
3.How many rounds of interview ??
4. On a totally different note, does certification in FRM improve your chances ??

It's a new rule this year, no ideas about the first question, may need to ask @dstefan .

#2: It was two weeks for me, but I know there are more rounds of interviews now so it may take longer, no longer than a month along with the interview in estimation.

#3: From 2 to 4 it depends.

#4: It improves for sure, as a proof of your financial knowledge in risk management. But personally speaking, if time is limited, FRM is not worth that much in quantitative finance career, in which the emphasis is on quantitative rather than finance.

Hello Weiyi, Yun, Sam and Scott,

Many thanks at the outset for helping us.. I see that all of you have done internships at reputed firms, I will be grateful if you throw some light on

a) How a typical day look like and what are the areas ( projects in brief) you have worked on?

b) what major concepts of programming and mathematics were used and what programming languages were used?

c) I am 2013 passed out CS graduate with GPA (9.1/10). I am currently working in SAP ( not in coding space). Its been three years I left Math and coding. I consider myself average in both math and programming. May I know what you felt you should have already known before entering the program and should I defer to next year if I get an admit to get some finance experience ( I dont have finance exp now) and give myself more time to be well versed with Advanced Math and Competitive coding.

P.S: I have been trading equities/derivatives from two years and want to work in Hedge fund/Prop trading firms. So, I am considering MFE.

Thanks Again & Happy Weekend,
Krishna Sai.

How well do you think your internship and work experienced helped get your position at Baruch?

I am currently CS with Math minor, but I really lack the hands on experience from an applicable internship. Do you have any suggestions on getting or searching for one?

@Weiyi CHEN
I have seen in the official Baruch MFE website that the curriculum gives an option for electives
But I don't see any course description regarding them. Is there any link that you can tell me for the course content. I am mainly looking for the courses like Algorithmic Trading, Time Series Analysis, Machine Learning, Applied Econometrics in Finance.

Last edited:
Back