• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

best c ++ compiler?

I personally use Visual Studio 2010 (ultimate edition because I'm awesome like that), used earlier versions in university and got used to it. I've tried using eclipse but I'm too used to VS, and perhaps too lazy to change.

The same thing with me. We used DEV C++ compiler which hasn't been updated for a long period of time and its very very hard to write readable code there since unlike VS , you have to chase every comma, brackets and statements point by point. Also VS has many capabilities which makes the code manageable and easy to interact with. However it is very important to choose a multi-platform languages.

By the way, students can download MS Visual Studio 2010 Professional and other goodies from MS free of charge (and legally) from Microsoft DreamSpark
, in case you didnt know.

Yeah, Visual Studio is free, but IntelliSense doesn't work, it's very uncomfortable. It seems like Microsoft is not going to work to improve the C++ IDE.

Anyway Qt is free as well, that's why I switched Ot framework.

By the way, students can download MS Visual Studio 2010 Professional and other goodies from MS free of charge (and legally) from Microsoft DreamSpark
, in case you didnt know.

Does it support all the tools the ordinary VS 2010 professional does? I didn't know about it

Yes, it does support pretty much everything but lacks the memory profiler and other performance analysis tools that come with the Ultimate (I believe it is) edition. Check it out yourself - it's free if you have a valid student ID and email.

@Roman

It is true that C++ Intellisense is a pain in the back though I wouldnt say it's not supported. It is just frustratingly slow in a banging-your-head-against-the-desk kind of way. There is full support for all managed languages though.

I use Code::Blocks on Windows. I am just learning, but it has been good so far.

I use Code::Blocks on Windows. I am just learning, but it has been good so far.

Yes it's a very good compiler also. I have not had many work to do in it, gonna study C++ environment with this platform but I liked many of the things in Code::Blocks. Had a touch with web applications using php. Visualization is much pleasing.

I guess one of the main benefits of VS is the ability to debug and easily integrate multiple projects of different environments in one place. For instances, I've found myself mixing native C++ with managed C# quite a lot lately and being able to jump in and out of unmanaged/ managed code while debugging is great! Dunno of any other IDE supporting this - Eclipse maybe?

Yes it's a very good compiler also. I have not had many work to do in it, gonna study C++ environment with this platform but I liked many of the things in Code::Blocks. Had a touch with web applications using php. Visualization is much pleasing.

Code::Blocks is an IDE, which by default installs with gcc compiler. However, it can be configured to use Visual C++ compiler, Intel compiler, and many other compilers.

Code::Blocks is an IDE, which by default installs with gcc compiler. However, it can be configured to use Visual C++ compiler, Intel compiler, and many other compilers.

Right. I had no much experience with it. Just created some C++ XLL addin using Code::Blocks

Easily the best environment to learn C++ is MS Visual Studio, and if you are a student, you get the full version free.

Over time you'll pick up some other IDEs and editors, but very rarely do employers ask "do you know VI ?", the goal is to master C++, and so I use VS when teaching.

One tip, learn a verstion control system it doesn't actually matter which at this level. It's good because a) it will make you a more effective programmer, and b) some employers use that skill as a signal that you're an effective porgrammer.

It has very good context sensitive help and it's dialect of C++ is so close to the standard that it's unlikely a newbie would ever notice the difference.

Is interacting with other languages' codes is easier in VS than in other compilers?

Back