• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Best choice for studying Computational / Quantitative / Mathematical Finance

Hi everyone

I did Finance for my Bachelor's degree and would like "to go with the flow" and get educated in more sophisticated areas of finance, i.e. I am more intrigued by mathematics, statistics and programming, which is why I would rather do a Masters in Quant Finance than simply Finance. I have applied to following:

- Cass Business School (MSc in Quant. Finance) --> offer
- UCL (MSc in Computational Finance) --> rejected
- Birkbeck (MSc Mathematical Finance) --> no decision yet
- University of Liechtenstein (MSc in Finance) --> offer
- Queen Mary University (MSc in Financial Computing or MSc in Mathematical Finance) --> no decision yet
- University of Essex (MSc in Computational Finance) --> offer
- Royal Hollowy (MSc in Computational Finance) --> offer

I can't really decide which option is the best for me. Because I have a background in the banking/finance sector, I'd like to stay in that branch, or do something with crypto/data science, but in finance related fields. My goal is to land a job in quant. asset management, quant. analyst or trading. Going through job descriptions I realised that programming, mathematics etc. is more and more a must. That's why I am aiming for a Quant Master instead of "just" finance, even though I have applied to Liechtenstein, which is a relatively a more mathematical/technical finance master compared to others.

I thought studying in London would be a great life experience, would push my CV forward and for those unis in london this is a big plus, especially the chance to network with fellow students and potential employers. The downside is the price tag, some (Cass) are very expensive. But studying Finance in one of the biggest financial centres world wide can't be something bad ...

A big plus in my opinion for Uni Essex is that the programme is accredited by the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology). This accreditation is increasingly sought by employers, and provides the first stage towards eventual professional registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng)

I thought a second option could be to do the Masters in Finance and the re-apply with more work experience and a MSc to top tier universities like UCL to do the MSc in Comp. Finance.

So, what are you opinions? What would be the best pick from the list above?

Thank you in advance guys, I could really need some help!
Batman

Is Liechtenstein expensive? It's a centre for finance like Switzerland -- secret numbered accounts.

I am more intrigued by mathematics, statistics and programming
Is this 'intrigued' caused by lack of knowledge of these subjects? How much hard math did you learn in your degree programme?

One of the best (C++) programming courses is here at Quantnet.

Last edited:
I am more intrigued by mathematics, statistics and programming
Is this 'intrigued' caused by lack of knowledge of these subjects? How much hard math did you learn in your degree programme?

One of the best (C++) programming courses is here at Quantnet.
Well, my Bachelor Thesis was about Option Valuation and that's where I have developed sincere curiosity for these subjects. I want to learn more about Quant Finance, which means more about maths, statistics and computer programming combined to solve financial problems. That's why I guess a "simple" finance master won't make me happy or satisfied ...

I hade courses in Financial Mathematics, Statistics, Quantitative Methods and Valuation of Financial Derivatives, but I wouldn't say it was hard math. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a major in finance, there is no hard maths. That's why I had a lot of self study to do for my bachelor thesis:)

Last edited:
I am really struggling to decide which path would be the right one.

My belly tells me, go to Liechtenstein, it will be something "rare" on your CV and the programme looks quite interesting.
My mind tells me, go for Essex, very good programme, the degreee is sought by employees, but keep in mind, it is not london, you will be a whole year in Colchester ... and the international reputiation of Uni Essex seems mediocre.

I have like 1 week remaining, could realy need some inputs:) thank you soo much!

I am really struggling to decide which path would be the right one.

My belly tells me, go to Liechtenstein, it will be something "rare" on your CV and the programme looks quite interesting.
My mind tells me, go for Essex, very good programme, the degreee is sought by employees, but keep in mind, it is not london, you will be a whole year in Colchester ... and the international reputiation of Uni Essex seems mediocre.

I have like 1 week remaining, could realy need some inputs:) thank you soo much!

Lichtenstein. Essex is a joke of a university. And the London programs are also nothing great.

Lichtenstein. Essex is a joke of a university.
Do you speak from personal experience? Or why do you feel Essex is a joke?

The only "problem" with Liechtenstein is, that their MSc is in Finance and not Quant/Comp/Math Finance. Looking at the jobs I have saved in my linkedin-profile indicates that with a non-mathematical degree I would most likely NOT land a job.

But I guess, I could still go for a second MSc after Liechtenstein ... or is there any better option?

Do you speak from personal experience? Or why do you feel Essex is a joke?

The only "problem" with Liechtenstein is, that their MSc is in Finance and not Quant/Comp/Math Finance. Looking at the jobs I have saved in my linkedin-profile indicates that with a non-mathematical degree I would most likely NOT land a job.

But I guess, I could still go for a second MSc after Liechtenstein ... or is there any better option?

I lived in Essex for a number of years, though of course that's not germane. We discussed the Essex program here on this forum a number of years back, based on their website. It wasn't professionally done. The consensus seemed to have been that with a site like that the program itself couldn't be much better. Essex is a regional university of no particular import. The program will be "me-too" at best. If you're going for an English university go for something on the Russell list.

Don't get your hopes high of getting a job in London if you graduate from these universities.

Hi everyone

I did Finance for my Bachelor's degree and would like "to go with the flow" and get educated in more sophisticated areas of finance, i.e. I am more intrigued by mathematics, statistics and programming, which is why I would rather do a Masters in Quant Finance than simply Finance. I have applied to following:

- Cass Business School (MSc in Quant. Finance) --> offer
- UCL (MSc in Computational Finance) --> rejected
- Birkbeck (MSc Mathematical Finance) --> no decision yet
- University of Liechtenstein (MSc in Finance) --> offer
- Queen Mary University (MSc in Financial Computing or MSc in Mathematical Finance) --> no decision yet
- University of Essex (MSc in Computational Finance) --> offer
- Royal Hollowy (MSc in Computational Finance) --> offer

I can't really decide which option is the best for me. Because I have a background in the banking/finance sector, I'd like to stay in that branch, or do something with crypto/data science, but in finance related fields. My goal is to land a job in quant. asset management, quant. analyst or trading. Going through job descriptions I realised that programming, mathematics etc. is more and more a must. That's why I am aiming for a Quant Master instead of "just" finance, even though I have applied to Liechtenstein, which is a relatively a more mathematical/technical finance master compared to others.

I thought studying in London would be a great life experience, would push my CV forward and for those unis in london this is a big plus, especially the chance to network with fellow students and potential employers. The downside is the price tag, some (Cass) are very expensive. But studying Finance in one of the biggest financial centres world wide can't be something bad ...

A big plus in my opinion for Uni Essex is that the programme is accredited by the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology). This accreditation is increasingly sought by employers, and provides the first stage towards eventual professional registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng)

I thought a second option could be to do the Masters in Finance and the re-apply with more work experience and a MSc to top tier universities like UCL to do the MSc in Comp. Finance.

So, what are you opinions? What would be the best pick from the list above?

Thank you in advance guys, I could really need some help!
Batman

Hi @batman . So I don't know if you are till around but I would like to know which option did you take?
I am starting out in the world of quant trading and have diligently started a few courses on Quantra. Free courses for now but maybe later try out a paid course and later even a university or something. Just went through this thread and thought I could ask which option did you take and what are your opinions a few months down the line.

Hi @batman . So I don't know if you are till around but I would like to know which option did you take?
I am starting out in the world of quant trading and have diligently started a few courses on Quantra. Free courses for now but maybe later try out a paid course and later even a university or something. Just went through this thread and thought I could ask which option did you take and what are your opinions a few months down the line.
Hey Rekhit. Great to hear about your interest in QuantFinance! Back then, I had some talks with former profs (who wrote the recommendation letters) which helped me to decide, what programme would fit me best. Eventually, I took the offer from Liechtenstein because of 2 main aspects: I am living in Switzerland, so Liechtenstein is the closest and cheapest (in terms of tuiton fees) option, and a degree from the UK (if it's not from Oxbridge, LSE, LBS or UCL) would not really advance my career if I would apply for jobs in Liechtenstein/Zurich/Geneva. Plus, I landed a job in a bank in Liechtenstein to work part-time next to my MSc degree. Therefore, it was clear for me to stay in Switzerland. The tradeoff however is, the MSc from Liechtenstein (as stated above) is a MSc in Finance and therefore not equipped with a lot of math subjects. Of course, you will have econometrics, empirical finance, financial derivatives and quant risk management and a bit of programming in R, which is interesting and fine, but it's not much meat on the bone, especially if you're interested in mathematics and quant finance in general.

Which is why I am planning to finish my MSc in Finance and apply for a second master's, most likely a math-related master, because it is mathematics that sparks my interest behind the quant finance topics. And therefore, dear Rekhit, I am studying/learning maths beyond my curriculum and teaching myself programming, on the one hand because I would need to catch up a lot of math If I'd like to do a Masters in a math-related subject, on the other hand, because it just interests me and I see that this is what banks and a lot of other employers are looking for. So, a prof told me, this profile of having a MSc in Finance and an MSc in Maths would be very interesting for a lot of companies, therefore I guess I will continue this path and try to take as many math-related projects in my uni to be ready for next year:)

Best,
batman

Back