• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

BI Norwegian business school

One of my friend has been selected to BI Norwegian business school Masters in Financial economics programme with100% scholarship(http://www.bi.no/en/Full-time/Masters/MSc-in-Financial-Economics/).
Does any one has any idea about the reputation of the school and the programme.Any help will be appreciated.

I've only visited the University of Oslo. The Norwegian Business School is a private school. I know nothing about it. For some reason Norwegian institutions don't have the same reputation Swedish ones do. The teaching will probably be competent though not inspired. I presume the scholarship includes tuition but not the cost of living in Oslo(?) -- which is exorbitant. I hope your friend has accommodation arranged -- there's an acute shortage of it in Oslo, and what's available is pricey (at the moment probably 6,000 kroners a month upwards). Det er ikke så lett i Oslo -- og alle ting er veldig dyr. Dessverre.

Thanks for the reply. Yes , the scholarship covers the tuition only.Do you mean to say that University of Oslo is a better school?

Thanks for the reply. Yes , the scholarship covers the tuition only.Do you mean to say that University of Oslo is a better school?

U of Oslo has a math department; Norwegian Business School doesn't. Also in the area of computer languages, U of Oslo academics have written books that are known. If memory serves Norway has six main universities -- Oslo (the most prestigious), Bergen, Trondheim, Tromso, and I forget the other two (maybe there's one in Stavanger, I don't remember). If your friend goes to Norway, make sure he has accommodation lined up -- each Fall there are thousands of students (Norwegians from the provinces) who are scrambling for a place to stay. A friend of mine was paying 8,000 kroners for a small studio -- and that isn't unusual. Places outside Oslo are easier to get but there is widespread reluctance to rent to "utlanders" (foreigners). And as in Germany, renters show their properties to a dozen or more people before deciding who they want to rent to (it being a seller's market they can afford to be picky). Og du må huske at Norge er bare for nordmenn: we må bli realistisk! Ellers Norge er fin -- men vinteren er altfor lang.

Og du må huske at Norge er bare for nordmenn: we må bli realistisk! Ellers Norge er fin -- men vinteren er altfor lang.

Based upon the undergrad course in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) I took, I suspect the above reads:

You must know that Norway is for Norwegians, we must be realistic. All of Norway is fine - but the winter is long?

I knew there was a practical use for that course somewhere ;).

Thanks for all the inputs bbw...
@newhaven CT : You are right. It means more or less the same. :)

Based upon the undergrad course in Old English (Anglo-Saxon) I took, I suspect the above reads:

You must know that Norway is for Norwegians, we must be realistic. All of Norway is fine - but the winter is long?

I knew there was a practical use for that course somewhere ;).

Du er veldig flink! På engelsk: "Norway is for Norwegians only. Otherwise Norway is fine -- but the winter is too long." Jeg har vondt i vinteren. Og sommeren er altfor kort! Unnskyld, min norsk er så flytende -- jeg må praxis mer. Også jeg her glemt så mye norsk. Jeg elsker Norge for evig og alltid. Du har rett: det er ikke så mye forskjell mellom norsk og alt engelsk.

Ahh looking back above, I am guessing huske is remember as in huske du (remember you?).

Du er veldig flink! På engelsk: "Norway is for Norwegians only. Otherwise Norway is fine -- but the winter is too long." Jeg har vondt i vinteren. Og sommeren er altfor kort! Unnskyld, min norsk er så flytende -- jeg må praxis mer. Også jeg her glemt så mye norsk. Jeg elsker Norge for evig og alltid.

You are very close. In English: "Norway is for Norwegians only. Otherwise Norway is fine -- but the winter is too long."
I have <something, not sure what that would be> in winter. And summer is also <short?>
Unskilled is my Norwegian....

I "something" Norway for ever and all time.

Not sure on the rest :)

In case anyone is remotely interested - here is an example of an OE text. Icelandic still uses many of the rune derived alphabet that was common in early Germanic languages.

http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a31.html

You must know that Norway is for Norwegians.
Reminded me of this quote after oslo incident. Fortunately my friend had decided against BI.

When I've been to Norway, I've found them to be entirely welcoming of foreigners.

The right wing Christian psycho who shot their kids was protesting against that, and with commendable resilience Norwegians have resolved not to close in. Actually that's pretty predictable, Norway is about the most civilised country on the planet, so much so that the police were unable to respond properly because they just don't get this shit there.

Even I was surprised reading that policemen in Norway don't carry firearms , so it took time to form a team...
But I also read somehwere that he shared the ideals of a party which was poised to come into majority next election...

Even I was surprised reading that policemen in Norway don't carry firearms , so it took time to form a team...
But I also read somehwere that he shared the ideals of a party which was poised to come into majority next election...

Neither do British policemen.

The party is FrP (Progress Party). A couple of my friends are members. It is stridently anti-immigrant and anti-Islamic. It is also pro-Israel and economically neoliberal (a la the Austrian School). It's the second largest party in the country. Jens Stoltenberg's Labour Party is the largest -- but governs as the senior member of a coalition. If FrP comes to power, it will also be as the senior member of a coalition. Similar parties can be found in Denmark (which is ever more vociferously anti-immigrant than Norway) and in Holland (Geert Wilders). In recent months, Theo Sarrazin, Merkel, Sarkozy, and Cameron have all been arguing that "multiculturalism" has been a resounding failure. European nationalism is on the rise again. Breivik is just an extreme symptom of it.

"Neither do British policemen"

Then how did they shoot a Brazilian at a subway mistaking him to be a muslim terrorist....

"Neither do British policemen"

Then how did they shoot a Brazilian at a subway mistaking him to be a muslim terrorist....

They have to get special and temporary permission to carry firearms -- e.g., a suspected imminent terrorist or violent criminal threat. This permission is restricted to trained squads. The policeman on the beat carries no firearm.

hmmmm...read about all the people mentioned... You have a very impressive knowledge of European politics and all these days i thought you were based out of US.

Back