• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Blazing a Quant Trail... a Bit Late

I am starting a PhD program this fall in applied mathematics. There are three advisors at my institution who specialize in mathematics in finance. If I were to choose one of these advisors, do my dissertation on mathematics in finance, would I still be able to land a quant job (and internships along the way) despite going from only a BS math and BS economics as an undergrad and skipping any master's degree (including an MFE)?

This way I could get the whole education for free without paying MFE tuition.

Pittsburgh, PA USA at University of Pittsburgh. Their overall math department PhD rating (USNWW) seems to fluctuate between the 50s and low 60s. There are many other applied math focus areas that they have at the department, so please be brutally honest if necessary. Quant finance just seems to be the most lucrative, and before I even think about putting all my eggs in that basket, I want to make sure it's possible to get a job in the field. However, based on the job ads that I am seeing, it would almost appear to be more beneficial making my dissertation focus area numerical methods and scientific computing as opposed to mathematics in finance in order to ensure that I have the adequate programming skills.

I am starting a PhD program this fall in applied mathematics. There are three advisors at my institution who specialize in mathematics in finance. If I were to choose one of these advisors, do my dissertation on mathematics in finance, would I still be able to land a quant job (and internships along the way) despite going from only a BS math and BS economics as an undergrad and skipping any master's degree (including an MFE)?

Yes. I'll go even further. If you become very good at your chosen topic (regardless what it is), you will find a job no matter of what. However, if you laze it out you won't get anywhere.

Back