• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Book on Unix Fundamentals

Hi All,

I have 4+ years of experience in C++. I have an interview (15 days from today) with goldman sachs on C++ and Unix. I have never worked on Unix and would request you to recommend me some good book(s), which would help me understand the basic fundamentals of Unix.

Any tips on what type of Unix questions could pop up during the interview would also be welcome.

Thanks

I am a Ubuntu/Mac user, so no firsthand knowledge, but my first stop for everything tech is slashdot.org. I would go there and search for "unix books". The commenters are awesome and there is pretty sophisticated promotion system, so it filters out the "FAIL" posts and whatnot.

My other bit of advice would be to use Unix (do you know which variety?) exclusively from now until the interview. I imagine you can learn quite a bit in two weeks.

I imagine you can learn quite a bit in two weeks.

I agree. This is enough time to get a feel of the system. However, depending on the position you are applying for, your interviewer may find this familiarity sufficient/lacking.

They will probably expect you to be familiar with make files, among other things. (i.e. how can you tie together and compile a large number of .cpp files using the command lines).

I'd suggest getting the vmware player (free) and an ubuntu linux install (I found it to be fast/painless). You can be up and running within a few hours.. it really helps to actually have done some of the stuff with your own hands.

Back