• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Boston MSMFT Boston University Mathematical Finance Program

Sanket Patel

i do stuff
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the Mathematical Finance program at Boston University? I know most of their relevant stats ( class size, tuition, placement record, etc). How does BU's program compare to the others? I believe GD ranks BU as a top 10 program. Any input?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the Mathematical Finance program at Boston University? I know most of their relevant stats ( class size, tuition, placement record, etc

Could you post those details?

Sanket,
Tell us what you know about BU program. We have heard nothing of it.

Boston wasn't top 10 on the GD ranking. It was tied at 16th.
The last time I saw anyone discussing BU program was 2006. Since then, it has been in a chatter blackhole, going the way of Polytech, Oklahoma, etc

For anyone who loves historical artifacts, here is the infamous GD ranking done by some guys who run GD website in 2003-2004. Baruch was then ranked 19th, before it ever graduated any student. I have never heard of many programs on that list NOW, let alone then.

Why would anyone keep referring to this ranking is beyond me. Knowing what I know now, I probably can produce a better "Quantnet MFE Ranking 2008" but I see absolutely no point in doing it.

B.U

Thanks for the info. The info I had on BU..well, the info I thought I had... didn't amount to much. I had found the info posted on some forum and didn't think twice to verify it. I called the university and the only info they have was:

• placement rates: high 90s - though they wouldn't give an exact number
  • class size : 15 - 25
and that's about it.

The reason I asked in the first place was because I have applied to CMU, Ga. Tech., USC, Baruch, NYU, and Columbia - all of which are top tier and high competitive. I was looking for a good "safety" school. I've already been turned down by Princeton, but I'm really hoping I get admitted into Baruch.

The reason I asked in the first place was because I have applied to CMU, Ga. Tech., USC, Baruch, NYU, and Columbia - all of which are top tier and high competitive. I was looking for a good "safety" school. I've already been turned down by Princeton, but I'm really hoping I get admitted into Baruch.

I see that you are from FL, have you looked at FSU's program in Math Finance? There used to be one a few years ago.

Yuriy -

I'm finishing my last semester at FSU. The Math. Fin. program here FSU is still relatively new. While the FSU program is a pretty good one, it has little name recognition - especially when considering schools like Baruch, NYU, CMU etc. Also, location is another big factor. Tallahassee isn't exactly a financial hub. =) Besides, I've been here in Tallahasse for the past 6 years....I want to get out!

When it comes down to it, I think I would rather apply to Boston Univ. or even Bentley College as safety schools - simply because of location.

Yuriy -

I'm finishing my last semester at FSU. The Math. Fin. program here FSU is still relatively new. While the FSU program is a pretty good one, it has little name recognition - especially when considering schools like Baruch, NYU, CMU etc. Also, location is another big factor. Tallahassee isn't exactly a financial hub. =) Besides, I've been here in Tallahasse for the past 6 years....I want to get out!

I see your point :) otherwise I would suggest FSU as as safety school. Boston is a good choice. Also check Polytech, they seem to be a "safety school", but I don't know much about their employment stats, except that my friend got his MFE there and is working now, but not in a quant role.

I see your point :) otherwise I would suggest FSU as as safety school. Boston is a good choice. Also check Polytech, they seem to be a "safety school", but I don't know much about their employment stats, except that my friend got his MFE there and is working now, but not in a quant role.

Is there any reason you didn't apply to Fordham, Polytech for those same purposes ?

I never really considered Fordham or Polytech. I asked a few professors which schools would be good safety schools and they recommended BU and Bentley. I thought 2 safety schools should suffice because I do have relatively good credentials. I suppose though I should apply to more schools for a better hedge. Thanks for the Fordham and Polytech recommendation, I'll look into those.

Thanks for the Fordham and Polytech recommendation, I'll look into those.
Just for clarification,
Since you applied to most programs in NYC, I just mentioned Fordham or Polytech as the remaining programs in NYC. It should not be taken as recommendation for either program.
You should seek second opinion on those programs. I have neither first hand info nor comment about those programs at this moment.

I was thanking you for mentioning those schools because initially I hadn't even considered them. At the moment, I don't plan on applying to those schools - I'm just going to find out more about their programs.

Thanks for the info. The info I had on BU..well, the info I thought I had... didn't amount to much. I had found the info posted on some forum and didn't think twice to verify it. I called the university and the only info they have was:

• placement rates: high 90s - though they wouldn't give an exact number
  • class size : 15 - 25
and that's about it.

Is Georgia Tech really top tier? I was assuming they are in the lower tier because they require min GPA of just 2.75/4.0.

Back