• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE BU MSMF vs Imperial RMFE

Hey guys, since I still haven't heard back from UChicago yet, I am asking for help to compare my current offers on hand.

My career goal is to work as a quant or equity trader at a bank or (not elite) hedge fund either in New York, London or Tokyo; with a stronger preference for NY, at least for a couple of years. I plan to return to Asia in the near future.

Oh and by the way, those who voted, if you can provide a brief reason why, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I dont know too much about BU since I’m based in the UK. But what I can say with a decently high confidence level, is that Imp RMFE is more RM than FE and that its grads rarely leave it to become traders (a quick LinkedIn browse will confirm this for u)

I dont know too much about BU since I’m based in the UK. But what I can say with a decently high confidence level, is that Imp RMFE is more RM than FE and that its grads rarely leave it to become traders (a quick LinkedIn browse will confirm this for u)
I do agree with you. Also maybe my linkedin-fu isn't very good, but can you corroborate my findings that most don't even end up in finance?

I do agree with you. Also maybe my linkedin-fu isn't very good, but can you corroborate my findings that most don't even end up in finance?
If you mean more traditional finance roles then yeah I think you’re right, I haven’t seen that many even at investment banks in general. The vast majority leavers I found are chinese internationals attaining IB roles in China (gonna assume this is not what you are aiming for). The next majority seem to go insurance comps or to the Big 4 - which is strange because risk.net claims that rmfe leavers’ avg salary is very high

edit: in saying this though, I don’t mean to say that it’s a subpar degree btw, it is ICBS at a MSc level afterall. it may just be the case that their asian-international student % is so high and most of them return to their nations that the other students are not accurately represented on linkedin. Stats may be against it but there’s just common-sensically no way that an ICL degree is not beneficial within the UK

Last edited:
If you mean more traditional finance roles then yeah I think you’re right, I haven’t seen that many even at investment banks in general. The vast majority leavers I found are chinese internationals attaining IB roles in China (gonna assume this is not what you are aiming for). The next majority seem to go insurance comps or to the Big 4 - which is strange because risk.net claims that rmfe leavers’ avg salary is very high
Oh by the way, I assume you are from the EU yea, I've heard it's essentially impossible for international students such as myself to get a job in the UK, do you find this true?

And re: your edit, could it be because of the above reasons?

Oh by the way, I assume you are from the EU yea, I've heard it's essentially impossible for international students such as myself to get a job in the UK, do you find this true?

And re: your edit, could it be because of the above reasons?
I mean no, I’m actually not from EU, so I had all the visa game against me also, but I did manage to get an internship and a grad role at decently well known banks - albeit I DID carpet bomb 70+ apps total lol. Plus, now the UK gives a 2 year post-graduation visa to students to help them settle and look for jobs, this should be massively helpful I think.

Hey! I’m planning to attend BU MSMF aswell, here is a review regarding the course if needed Boston MSMFT - Boston MSMFT Review
I think the alumni network is quite strong and well your goal to work in NY would be more possible if you studied at BU. At the same time the math in the program is really rigorous, so I feel, as a person who wants to become a quant, a rigorous and challenging mathematical curriculum is key.
An added benefit is the financial tech, which peaks my interest.
And from the conversations I’ve had with the people in the program and the video conference with the program director, tells me that the program would be a good fit for a person who wants to be a quant.
Obviously there are other really top tier colleges, like the top 5, that would increase your probability to work in the role you desire, but among these two, my personal suggestion would be BU.
Also if you plan to join BU, would love to connect with you!

Hey! I’m planning to attend BU MSMF aswell, here is a review regarding the course if needed Boston MSMFT - Boston MSMFT Review
I think the alumni network is quite strong and well your goal to work in NY would be more possible if you studied at BU. At the same time the math in the program is really rigorous, so I feel, as a person who wants to become a quant, a rigorous and challenging mathematical curriculum is key.
An added benefit is the financial tech, which peaks my interest.
And from the conversations I’ve had with the people in the program and the video conference with the program director, tells me that the program would be a good fit for a person who wants to be a quant.
Obviously there are other really top tier colleges, like the top 5, that would increase your probability to work in the role you desire, but among these two, my personal suggestion would be BU.
Also if you plan to join BU, would love to connect with you!
Here are some reservations I have about BU's program, and hopefully you might be able to quell some of them.

1. I agree with you that BU's program certainly is very quanty and mathematically rigorous, but I'm having trouble finding people on linkedin that actually work as a quant. Most people that I have found either don't really work in finance, haven't updated their linkedin in years, or is still looking for a job. So I have my doubts whether the program can place us into quant jobs. Do you have the same reservation?

2. As you know, wall street really cares about reputation, which is why CMU, Columbia consistently get top jobs. I am having some reservations about Questrom having the same reputation. Sort of linking back to my first point, I have heard some criticisms of the program saying that basically only State Street comes to recruit. What do you think about this criticism? Is it founded?

Just as an aside, but during the video conference, did the program director go more in detail about employment statistics like how many % go into Investment Banking, how many % go into asset managemen/Hedge Fundst? CMU has like this super comprehensive employment report: https://www.cmu.edu/mscf/careers/employment-reports/2020-mscf-employment-report-digital.pdf

i did RMFE =) It is not quantish enough for sure (even if you take the quant selectives modules).

I would say it only gives you 3 out of 10 required skills to get employed as a Quant. But I doubt if other programs can be that much better.
At the end, you all leetcode, do the green book, and read 1-6 chapters of Shrev's book in order to pass interviews.

And the Imperial brand is very good (as wall st cares about branding). I might choose imperial if you ask me.

i did RMFE =) It is not quantish enough for sure (even if you take the quant selectives modules).

I would say it only gives you 3 out of 10 required skills to get employed as a Quant. But I doubt if other programs can be that much better.
At the end, you all leetcode, do the green book, and read 1-6 chapters of Shrev's book in order to pass interviews.

And the Imperial brand is very good (as wall st cares about branding). I might choose imperial if you ask me.
Are you able to take classes from the Mathematics in Finance program? For instance, I would really like to take Market Microstructures from there.

EDIT: Also, what is the green book? I'm guessing it's a quant interview book?

Last edited:
Are you able to take classes from the Mathematics in Finance program? For instance, I would really like to take Market Microstructures from there.

EDIT: Also, what is the green book? I'm guessing it's a quant interview book?
No you cannot. But those prof are very nice few of my classmates end up doing PhD there. If you want to participate in some research project, I don't think Brigo would shut the door.

Yes it is an interview book. "A Practical Guid to Quant Interviews by Xinfeng Zhou". Simply read that book would help you ace all the interviews from big banks. If you want to go for top tier hedge fund, then you need to practice more (try onepoint3acres. You can find "fresh" interview Qs from Citadel, Two Sig and SIG).

Back