• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"C++11 feels like a new language” – Bjarne Stroustrup

The C++11 standard offers many useful new features. This page focuses specifically and only on those features that make C++11 really feel like a new language compared to C++98, because:
  • They change the styles and idioms you’ll use when writing C++ code, often including the way you’ll design C++ libraries. For example, you’ll see more smart pointer parameters and return values, and functions that return big objects by value.
  • They will be used so pervasively that you’ll probably see them in most code examples. For example, virtually every five-line modern C++ code example will say “auto” somewhere.
Use the other great C++11 features too. But get used to these ones first, because these are the pervasive ones that show why C++11 code is clean, safe, and fast – just as clean and safe as code written in any other modern mainstream language, and with C++’s traditional to-the-metal performance as strong as ever.
http://herbsutter.com/elements-of-modern-c-style/

Visual Studio 2010 C++ supports a number of the features.

C++ 11 lambda with STL algos are useful.

So if I was just starting to learn C++, should I start with C++11? How long will it be before this becomes mainstream?

EDIT: I mean should I learn the new features, I realize it isn't a whole new language. I just wanted to clarify. lol

So if I was just starting to learn C++, should I start with C++11? How long will it be before this becomes mainstream?

EDIT: I mean should I learn the new features, I realize it isn't a whole new language. I just wanted to clarify. lol

For me, C++ 11 is not a whole new language; it has new features that are parts of C++ and have been used in Boost for years.

I am willing to bet that it will be > 5 years before all of it is mainstream. There are several reasons why.

To learn C++, learn some C first.

Back