• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ course June enrollment

Hi Andy,

I understand that the max time length for this course is 16 weeks. Do you have any stats on how many weeks do students finish the course on average? My concern is that I may get busy with work in the latter part of the 16 week time frame. Thanks.
Hi Cancun,
The fastest completion we have you record is one student who completed the course in 63 days. The average is about 100 days caused by many students waiting until a few weeks after enrollment to work on the course in earnest. A better strategy is to move past the first few levels as soon as possible in case you get stuck at some harder levels later on.

It is made especially easier to accomplished now that we have published materials for level 1 and level 2 so you can complete the first 2 levels before enrollment so that you can jump right on level 3.

We also have suggested course planner so that you can plan your schedule more effectively.

Hi Andy,

I'm a mac user. Does Visual Studio only have Windows version? I'm at school now so I can use PCs in our lab. Is it OK that I work on the course using different computers?

Thanks.

As long as you and the TA can compile your code. Using the standard VS2010 (free) makes debugging your error much easier since it's the officially supported version.
You can get Parallels on your Mac and install VS2010 in it. My experience with students using a Mac is that they will run into lot of problems later on, specially in Level 9 when the project code is provided in VS2010 format.

Hi Andy, is it possible for you to make sure there will be a space for me to enroll at the beginning of August?

Thanks.

Hi Andy, When does enrollment open for the next session?
Teddy,
There is no "next session" as we have a rolling enrollment policy, meaning we have people completing and coming in the course every week. We have more and more people signing up the past few weeks so they can complete the course in time when they apply for MFE programs in Sept.

Hi, Andy, is it possible to register at the beginning of this September, will there be a space for me to enroll?

Thanks

Hi Andy,

I am a C++ programmer (and a little bit of this and that) for last 8 years but mostly have worked in product companies fixing bugs. :(
I am looking into making a transition into Financial Engineering. But as of now I would be taking the MFE program later on (Budget issues). Will this prep course and the certificate be sufficient to make my resume stand out? I mean will at least my resume will be considered?

I have seen the syllabus you have posted. Till part three I am comfortable with the topics listed. Part four I have familiarity with. Part five and six are virgin territories for me.

You think this course suits my career plan?
If yes can I enroll now?

BTW I am 32 yrs old.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen the syllabus you have posted. Till part three I am comfortable with the topics listed. Part four I have familiarity with. Part five and six are virgin territories for me.
You think this course suits my career plan?
From what I can tell, you will benefit from learning about financial applications and how C++ was used to build those. It definitely will help make your knowledge and resume more relevant to jobs in quant finance. It won't guarantee an instant job but in this hyper competitive job market, every little thing helps.
If yes can I enroll now?
Yes you can. Keep in mind that the 16-week countdown starts the moment you enroll so make sure you are ready to start right away.

From what I can tell, you will benefit from learning about financial applications and how C++ was used to build those. It definitely will help make your knowledge and resume more relevant to jobs in quant finance. It won't guarantee an instant job but in this hyper competitive job market, every little thing helps.

Yes you can. Keep in mind that the 16-week countdown starts the moment you enroll so make sure you are ready to start right away.

Thanks Andy.
I will join.

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts about this course and I cannot clear something up: will we need additional books appart from the materials provided by the course? Or is everything we need to finnish it, containded in the course materials?

Thank you,

Olivia

Olivia Stoicescu
Everything you need to complete the course is contained in the materials (video, PDF) as well as our extremely helpful support forums.
By now, every HW has been asked and answered numerous times so you should have no problem if you get stuck with a specific question.

That said, many students go the extra mile and read other books/website. There are several free books/websites that they find useful here.

Is the payment gateway working fine?
I keep getting this message:

This transaction has been declined. (2)
I sent you a message. This indicates that your credit card issuer has declined the transaction. Use another card or call them up will resolve this in most cases.
We can also work with you for alternative payment methods.

Hey Andy,

I have a few questions for the C++ program. How many hours/week is typically needed in this course, and will this be offered in the winter-spring? I have some entry level knowledge thus far in C++ and no other programming language.

Jonathan,
We enroll new students at the beginning of each calendar month, starting this September.
There is no typical amount of time. Many students complete the course in 60 days or less while others take longer but we expect everyone to put in a lot of time and effort to make it through our course. It is a lot harder when you are working full-time or have other commitments so keep that in mind.

Here is a testimonial of one of our recent graduates that best illustrates my point
“The course is rigorous, just what I was expecting. I think it is a good programming warm up towards my MFE program. It is worth mentioning that it needs considerable time and effort, you may expect to work around 8 hours on a single exercise but this is what makes the fee worth it. Thanks for this high level course, I’m happy with the experience and knowledge acquired.”

Back