• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C in PDE

I'm a rising junior in a top30 US university. Last semester I got a C(2.0) in undergrad Partial Differential Equations and a B in Complex Variables (this course is a undergrad course but the prof taught it by the curriculum of a grad complex analysis). My expected graduating GPA now (after the C) is about 3.7. How will this harm my MFE application? Will taking a grad PDE and Complex Analysis course (and getting As in them) help? What about taking Duffy's Differenial Equations courses? (Also I got COVID during last semester, and I believe my memory and energy was really harmed by it, can I use this as a reason in the additional application essay?) Thank you all.

Getting such a grade on a fundamental course will definitely hurt. If you have good grades in the other courses, you can help your cause by taking high level courses and getting As in them. Prof Duffy's course will definitely help your understanding of the subject better!
I get all A nad A-s (our univ doesn't have A+) in other math and CS courses, but these two are just too low.😭

To really understand PDE, decent groundwork in ODE is essential.
And my ODE/PDE online also does PDEs in finance, which is unique in PDE land.

PDE and Complex Analysis are not really pre-requisites to MFE. Getting a C is not good though but the B is fine. Would not worry about it as long as you got good grades in other classes.

ODE and PDE are so essential in all walks of life.
It means you are missing out

Thank you Prof Duffy, I find that not only UCB has PDE as prereq, Cornell and GaTech also requires exposure to PDE.
I do have an A- in my Honors ODE course and I think I can deal with basic ODE calculations on textbooks pretty well. I really hope to make up for this C. How should I prove my ability in PDE (to the admission offices of MFE programs) in the application in general? Is there anything I can do? I'm not allowed to retake the course. So could things like taking a grad PDE and get an A or taking your course in PDE? btw does your course provide a transcript or certificate at the end of it that I can submit along the application? Many thanks!

Thank you Prof Duffy, I find that not only UCB has PDE as prereq, Cornell and GaTech also requires exposure to PDE.
I do have an A- in my Honors ODE course and I think I can deal with basic ODE calculations on textbooks pretty well. I really hope to make up for this C. How should I prove my ability in PDE (to the admission offices of MFE programs) in the application in general? Is there anything I can do? I'm not allowed to retake the course. So could things like taking a grad PDE and get an A or taking your course in PDE? btw does your course provide a transcript or certificate at the end of it that I can submit along the application? Many thanks!
My approach for MFE is students do parts A,B,F and G + exercises and then they get certificate, personally signed by yours truly :cool:
I help students with the exercises.

TBD, I have not see an ODE/PDE course like mine + applications to finance (unique feature).

And in my 10 books. I've being doing PDE in academia and industry since 1975.

Back