• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Certificate as a template for independent study

Hello Quantnet,

I am currently a senior in college graduating next fall. My school offers a Quantitative Finance specialization track for undergraduate students as well as a Financial Derivatives/Engineering course at the senior level. I was wondering if anyone here has used or has heard of someone using the the certificate program here as a template for an independent study course with their school. What I hope to do is use the course here as well as a text book for Building Financial Risk Management Applications with C++ as a program template to apply for independent study where they use the grades I make on the assignments and exams from the certificate and the modules from the book. This way I can get credit for school, some experience with building risk management tools, and a certificate from an established program.

Another question I have is what is the re-enrollment process like? I enrolled last summer but wasn't able to finish due to school work load and personal issues.

Thank you for your time,

Sam

I can't speak for others, but speaking as originator of the course there is enough C++ to implement most problems.

What a course does not and cannot teach is experience and you learn by doing, making mistakes and in this way improving.

So the trajectory is Risk Man specifications -> Design -> C++.

You become a good designer by

practice (get it working)
practice (get it right)
practice (get it optimized)

Like the steps in judo from my late judo teacher, 1-2-3

Last edited:
Back