• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

The lecture notes were extremely detailed and helpful.
In short, I was able to given solid understanding of the basics of C++
The homeworks were a bit convoluted at times, as often it required using code from a previous lecture.

I had previously completed Baruch's Advanced Calculus and Probability Theory Pre-MFE programs earlier this year (2023) with the intention of aligning my profile towards MFE programs in the US, especially Baruch. Then, when I came across the umpteen praises for the 'C++ for financial engineering' course offered by Prof. Daniel Duffy on Quantnet as well as on Baruch MFE forum, and found out that my Pre-MFE peers had taken up the course, and that it is immensely essential for success in any MFE program, I decided to enrol in this course.

I initially had my doubts regarding the self-paced nature of the course. Prof. DD's teaching style and TA Avi sir's active guidance and involvement proved me wrong. The course is far from easy and comes with a steep learning curve, but its structure, the assignments and the quizzes complemented with TA guidance sure take you from a zero to hero in C++ programming.

3 months ago, I only knew about the theoretical underpinnings of quant finance, (say, stochastic calculus, Black-Scholes pricing models etc.). I am still working on believing I have picked up so much on the applied side of finance, especially Monte Carlo simulation and FDM through C++, in a span of just 3 month.

Homework is what makes this course great, being able to practice what you learned on the teaching materials hands on makes for an amazing learning experience, TAs and the forum complement the experience by providing theoretical intuition and clarifications on how to solve them. Had an excellent experience overall.

Since I am studying for the MFE programs, C++ is a must-have thing on your resume and that's why I searched for a course with some applied to the filed topics. My friend, who is now studying at Baruch MFE program recommended this course to me. This course is good for giving not-to-deep dive into the logic of the language, but still forming good understanding of the C++. Also, community and TAs were really helpful in completing the course.

Last edited:
I was a regular member of QuantNet and knew about this course. I needed good C++ skills as part of a job and also wanted to take this course to boost my MFE applications.
Overall, the course is extremely good. Amazing structure and content. Very well-designed by Dr Duffy. Mr. Avi was very helpful throughout the course. Also, I would like to give a special mention to Mr. @Paul Lopez and other members who have taken the effort and posted their inputs on the forum. The forums were extremely helpful throughout the course.

I really had a great time learning the course. It greatly strengthened my skills and experience in programming, which I believe will greatly benefit my application in financial engineering programmes. The TA's advice for my homework really led me to have a deeper understanding of the knowledge points, and I also learnt a lot from the discussions in the forum. Of course, the lecture videos were simply excellent.
I learnt about the course during the Baruch MFE summer camp alumni sharing session and I was strongly recommended by my senior alumni to take the course. I believe the course will lay solid programming foundations for me as a finance major undergraduate and benefit my mfe application. So I immediately enrolled in the course. It turned out that I made a very wise choice.

Found the course when browsing through the quantnet site. Great course to get the foot in the door of C++ programing and get a glimpse in how C++ program can be used in practice. Would hope there are more practices like the ones in level 9 with the application beyond options (fixed income, rates, and etc.) as well as follow up calls post final exam to walk through areas to improve upon.

I had a great learning experience taking this course. Thank you, Prof. Daniel J Duffy, my TA Avi Palley, and Quantnet.

The course content was to the point and covered all the necessary topics required. Emphasis on writing code through the detailed Homework exercise is what makes this course more effective. Writing code after each level helped me understand the concepts better, it also helped me retain the concepts and syntax.

Finally, the active involvement of Professor Duffy, TAs, and past & current students in the course discussion forum is a very important and helpful resource. It helped me to get clarity on all my doubts regarding concepts, quizzes, and HW questions, without having to spend a lot of time looking for them on the internet, in books, etc.

I found this course from the Baruch MFE program site. I always wanted to learn C++ and took this course to work on C++ based projects at my workplace. It will also be a plus on my resume when I apply for MFE Programs.

I chose to take this course because I am preparing to apply for a Master's in Financial Engineering in the United States. I believe this course will significantly contribute to enhancing my technical skills. Before taking this course, my knowledge of C++ was very basic. However, during this course, I have learned a lot, including inheritance, polymorphism, and templates. I consider these concepts crucial for producing a well-structured project.

My experience in this course has been excellent. The TA always responds promptly to messages, helping me understand the issues in my assignments. I would highly recommend this course to others.

Back