• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calibrating Heston's stochastic volatility model

hey every one
.I am doing my master thesis in volatility forecating but I have a problem. I want to calibrate heston model as discribed in the following articles but I really cant find any thing (any code or help). I am trying hard but I am not good at programming so its tough. Maybe u or any body else on this site help me with the co de ? thanks in advance:)

http://www.wilmott.com/pdfs/040502_shu.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=pricing s&p 500 index options with heston’s model&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.201.590&rep=rep1&type=pdf&ei=KoOiT8WkB82k4AStnJWuCQ&usg=AFQjCNE2oGOjaOBlfPX9VQJLTt8tIqVFew&cad=rja

You can use the R-Project's set of statistical tools(www.r-project.org), thus minimize the programming part from your end. Your biggest challenge is to come up with reliable intra-day data to properly calibrate the models.

Its not just heston method it is like using Garch to estimate Heston parameters. I dont think that R-staistical tools offer that.I have checked :(

I give a little more explaination may be some body can help me with this :)

To compute option price from the Heston model, one needs the inputparameters that are not observable from market data. The input parametersfall into two group, the structure parameters that govern the diffusion process of the underlying asset (μ, κ, θ , η, and ρ), and the spot variance vt and risk premium λ. Because volatility is random and risk premium λ is unobservable, the exact maximum likelihood function for the
Heston stochastic volatility model cannot be traced, so the traditionalmaximum likelihood estimation cannot be applied to estimate Heston model directly. Of course, on can always use option panel data to back out structure parameters, as Bakshi, Cao and Chen (1997) and Nandi (1998) do. However, the option is priced under risk neutral probability,
it is not clear whether the option implied structure parameters truly reflect the original information contained in the underlying asset return distribution. In this study, we adopt a two-step procedure to estimate the stochastic diffusion process as well as the option risk premium jointly. In the first step, the simulation-based indirect inference method
is used to estimate the structure parameters that govern the underlying asset process (μ, κ, θ , η). In the second step, the remaining parameters (vt , λ, ρ) are estimated by a non-linear least square method. The indirect inference method is a simulation based, moment matching procedure.The method works in the following way: suppose the true data generating process is governed by a stochastic diffusion process, one can simulate discrete time observations from this process by the Euler approximation given any set of structural parameters. The simulated data is estimated using some discrete time model called auxiliary model. The market data is also estimated by the same auxiliary model. If the
moments from the simulated data match the moments from the market data, which means that the simulated data has the same property as the market data. Then the structural parameters that generate the simulated
data represent the true data generating process. In our study, we estimate
both the market data and simulated data with the GARCH (1,1)
model and search for the structural parameters that match the GARCH
parameters of the simulated data to the market data.
After κ, θ , η are estimated, we need to estimate the correlation coefficient
ρ, the spot variance vt , and the risk premium λ. This is done by a
non-linear least square method. On each day, there are many option
quotes with different times to maturity and different exercise prices.
Some former studies only use at-the-money options, but we use all
options available on the particular day to estimate required parameters
on that day since more information is included. Define:

εt = p − p(ρ, λ, vt)
as the error of between the market price and theoretical price computed
from Heston model, we want to search for a set of parameters (ρ, λ, vt)
that minimize the sum of square errors:

where I is the total number of options on the day. This is done on each
day.

So the author proposes a two step-approach

Step 1 is to estimate the structure parameters that govern the underlying asset process (μ, κ, θ , η).

You simulate the data using Euler discretization scheme as proposed by the author. There is a set of structural parameters associated with this (μ, κ, θ , η). Generate the simulated GARCH(1,1) process and do the same for the market data. If you have a match ( in terms of moments), you can say that the structural parameters (μ, κ, θ , η) used to generate simulated data GARCH(1,1) 'represent the true data generating process'.

Match Simulated GARCH(1,1) process with that of market data GARCH(1,1) process. If you do have a match between the two GARCH(1,1) process in term of the various moments (1st, 2nd order), then the Heston parameters that generated the Simulated GARCH(1,) process represents the true data generating process as noted by the author.

In Step 2 uses the non-linear approach proposed by the author to find (ρ, λ, vt) parameters.

So in this two-step approach the author isolates the value of option volatility due to the underlying asset returns, from that due the risk premia assumed/demanded by market participants (the risk premia being itself an unobservable). This is how the author proposes an option model with structural parameters that can reproduces option prices that are risk-neutral and market consistent.

ok thanks for the explaination It helps me a lot in understanding the basic idea behind this whole problem. can you recommend any Software or Code for doing this?

I have tried that too I did find some code for Heston Calibration but not what I was looking for. Like using garch, Euler discretization scheme and the non-linear approach.
I got some code from this site http://theponytail.net/CCFEA/ but It did not work for my data and I am not sure about this code.
There is a matlab code for the Garch-Heston on this site but I could not really understand that.

Hey
I am new to this forum. I am trying to calibrate Heston model by Indirect Inference method as in the paper of Shu Zhang 2004. Does any body else on this forum has tried it before? Any experience in doing that? I am having really hard time in coding it in Matlab.

Hi guys,

This might sound like a stupid question, but when one is calibrating the Heston model, what data should be used?
For example, some authors calibrate the model using data from one day, some use option data for a whole year. When someone uses say data for the whole year, the user will have a list of time-series data for the Heston paramters. So when pricing exotics, does one simply take the mean of the parameters?

Many Thanks

Does someone has a tutorial to explain how to calibrate a heston model ?

Calibration is a missing point of my master.
Thanks

Back