• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cambridge Mfin vs Columbia MFE

Cambridge MFin vs Columbia MFE

• Total voters
Hi
A bit about my background - Trader for a proprietary trading firm (US and UK commodities) since the past 3 years. Want to broaden my horizon in the field of finance. Later want to work in a HFT firm.

Cambridge (20% Scholarship) vs Columbia (No Scholarship). Tuition cost and living in NYC will literally cost 1.7x comparatively.
I am really confused between these two programs. Columbia's program is quant focused and Cambridge's is a bit balanced. I am not very good with programming. Which one do you reckon fits my aspirations the best.

Thank you in advance.

Figure out where you want to work after school. London or NYC? Cost of living in NYC is higher but salary will also be higher.
Getting a job out of Columbia MFE would probably be more challenging since you will be competing against thousands of other candidates from many other programs.
If you are not good at programming, let's face it right now. You will get more job opportunities if you are better than the other graduates in coding. You will be interviewed and tested your coding ability anyway before you get an offer.
Why don't you take the C++ or Python course we offer here? They are the best on the market to prepare people for the quant industry.

I saw quite a few people with MFin Cambridge background (was even considering it myself) but honestly not sure if it helped them to break into the industry (especially HFT). While the Mfin programme content is ok, for Algo/Quant roles most people would still look for MMath /Statistics/Engineering from Ox/Cambridge/Imperial rather than MFin. Columbia MFE seems like a better option (and presumably more expensive) especially if you are targeting US market.

P.s. I had an interview with the candidate from Columbia once and it was all nice until he was asked to do a Python test...

What @Rey_De_Leon said is true. If you want to break into a more technical role where stats/machine learning/coding is involved, you need much more than what the MFin program can give.
Even if we assume the MFE programs in the US are more technical than the MFin programs, the graduates need to differentiate themselves during the screening/interview process. In the US, it's brainteaser, online coding, etc so it's a wise investment to equip yourself with a stronger coding ability when your competitors don't.
Consider you are paying 100K on average for a degree in the US, don't cheap out on the inexpensive cost to make you a stand out from the crowded market place.

I saw quite a few people with MFin Cambridge background (was even considering it myself) but honestly not sure if it helped them to break into the industry (especially HFT). While the Mfin programme content is ok, for Algo/Quant roles most people would still look for MMath /Statistics/Engineering from Ox/Cambridge/Imperial rather than MFin. Columbia MFE seems like a better option (and presumably more expensive) especially if you are targeting US market.

P.s. I had an interview with the candidate from Columbia once and it was all nice until he was asked to do a Python test...
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the last line - did he not perform well?

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the last line - did he not perform well?
Interested in this too - what types of skills does your firm test for in coding screens?

IME I feel like coding abilities of mfe graduates have a pretty wide distribution. are we talking like inability to write basic loops and function?

Back