• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career in quant fin on completing a graduate course in mathematics

Hi friends,

I am Quasar, I am 31 and I hail from Bombay, India. I am a CompSci engineer with five years of IT experience and work at an investment bank as a risk analyst.

I had applied to the MFE programmes of two universities in Singapore(which are decent), this year, and I was selected at both places. For various reasons, I dropped the idea of MFE.

I do not wish to take the low-hanging fruit. In the weekdays, since I have the mornings to myself, I plan on enrolling myself for a Masters in Mathematics 2-year correspondence course in India. The course fees are INR 8000.00(USD 133) per year. The curriculum looks like this:

First year :
  • 110 - Algebra
  • 120 - Real Analysis
  • 130 - Differential Geometry and Differential Equations
  • 140 - Analytical Mechanics and Tensor Analysis
Second year:
  • 210 - Complex Analysis
  • 220 - Set Topology and Functional Analysis
  • 230 - Graph Theory Monday
  • 240 - Mathematical Statistics
Being a correspondence course, there are no classroom lectures, but I plan to supplement my learning with good books, solving lots of problems. Perhaps, the learning curve will be steep. I am disciplined and believe in working diligently.

I have read and solved problems Introduction to Probability by Joe Blitzstein. I found that building pricing models in Python - e.g. trinomial trees to price a barrier option or constructing the smile using Vanna-Volga method are an effective way to master numerical techniques.

I realize that, ultimately it all boils down to the skills that you have. The purpose of doing this course is two-fold : it'll be rewarding and enriching, and I can give a slant to my resume and apply for a more quantitative role. I plan to study basic stochastic calculus and numerical methods alongside.

With a background like that, is it possible to actually apply to quant fin jobs internationally or in India and get noticed? Would I have the right set of skills? Any tips/suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks,
Quasar.

Back