• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chance of getting admitted without math courses

Hi,

I’m preparing to apply to some MFE programs for Fall 2025 and hope to get some advice for my profile. Below are my details:
- Experience: 2 years working as an actuarial analyst at an insurance company in the US, 1 actuarial internship and 1 research assistant position for an economics research at my college.
- Education: BA in Quantitative Economics from a small, no-name LAC in the US, 3.9 GPA
- Courses taken: some CS courses including Intro, Data Structures, Algorithms, Database and Machine Learning; a Stats in econ course; 3 finance courses.
- GRE: unofficial 166V, 170Q
- Technical skills: Python, SQL, VBA, Tableau
- Other: I passed 5 actuarial exams and 6th one pending for results.

What worries me the most is that I didn’t take any linear algebra or calculus courses in college. I was switching from Psyc to Econ major, then was set to become an actuary so I just took the courses related to those fields. I’m hoping to get accepted to GATech QCF, UWash, among others. Do I stand any chance of getting admitted and is there anything I can do to improve my profile? Advice much appreciated. Thank you.

I didn’t take any linear algebra or calculus courses in college.
That's awkward..

How to do Actuart, Quant Econ w/o the above??

I didn’t take any linear algebra or calculus courses in college.
That's awkward..

How to do Actuart, Quant Econ w/o the above??
It’s not a requirement in my college major at all (I wish it was), and for actuary I just take online courses for the actuarial exams and take the exams.

You will need Linear Algebra, Multi-variable calculus, Differential Equations and Probability Theory at the very least to get admitted into a good program.
Analysis (real and complex), Algebra are the topics which can be skipped.

You will need Linear Algebra, Multi-variable calculus, Differential Equations and Probability Theory at the very least to get admitted into a good program.
Analysis (real and complex), Algebra are the topics which can be skipped.
Thank you. I’m considering taking some online courses for these topics, can they be a replacement for the college courses?

Thank you. I’m considering taking some online courses for these topics, can they be a replacement for the college courses?

Not for all programs, but for some programs it can be. I would suggest to go with online courses. It's not like you have any other option.
Consider taking pre-mfe courses. Few programs offer those - baruch, uchicago etc. Do well in those courses. All the best.

Not for all programs, but for some programs it can be. I would suggest to go with online courses. It's not like you have any other option.
Consider taking pre-mfe courses. Few programs offer those - baruch, uchicago etc. Do well in those courses. All the best.
Thank you! Do these online courses need to have grades on them or certificate?

I'm not really sure how you end up pursuing quant positions without a formal mathematics background. It must be a little difficult to know what you are getting yourself into.

A lot of these programs assume you already have the background and will focus on the application of these topics. You will probably need to do a ton of catch up self studying to make the program even worth it. I would suggest considering non MFE programs, MS in applied math/cs.

Back