• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

China to Introduce Credit-Default Swaps by Year-End

No naked positions - where's the fun in that

Naked positions will be replicated by financial engineers :) Welcome to the bubble ;)

in the case of corporate default u can use deep OTM puts to construct equivalent payoffs to CDS. but contractual language of CDS could include other credit events with respect to ref ob.

in the case of corporate default u can use deep OTM puts to construct equivalent payoffs to CDS. but contractual language of CDS could include other credit events with respect to ref ob.

Actually, I believe the cashflow profile of a cds can be replicated in a fairly straightforward using an asset swap.

I'd love to go into more detail but since this, as Max indicated, may end up an exam question, I don't want to spoil the fun for the class :)

It's a good exam question for 9814 class. We will discuss it with Bob after class on Wednesday at the Globe.
We'll actually talk about this in class 4 or thereabouts. But I'm not averse to spoiling my own punchlines over beers.

sure Sanket i know what u mean. but if u have to own bond to buy cds u would prbly would have to own bond to swap away some of the risk via asset swap and both types of cotracts would prbly be subject to same regulations. i think it is interesting how they will margin cds(in order to reduce leverage) such that not to spoil ROE of natural longs, who might find it not attractive to sell cds if u have to post pile of cash(assets) against it and prevent careless risk taking like AIG.

did i get it correct max?

I don't know... I didn't think about it :) But it's a good question and if you want to discuss it, come tomorrow (Wednesday) to the Globe at 9PM. This kind of issue can be considered only over a beer :)

Cheers

Back