• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Claremont/ IIT/ RIT/ UNCC

ARD

Hi guys,
I have got an admit from these 4 univs. And I am not able to decide which Univ to go for, can you guys please help me out.

Claremont MSFE
RIT MSF
IIT Chicago MSF
UNCC MS Mathematical Finance.

Also I am waiting to get a reply from Rutgers, USC, Kent State and NYU-Poly.
So what would you guys suggest.

Kent?

and what about Kent State University... their program seems impressive... but its in Ohio..
I am still to get a reply from them but just asking..

Also look through the reviews on this website in the Education section. There are reviews for IIT and Claremont.

RIT is not an MFE program.

UNCC sucks - don't go there.

Really?!? Why do you think it sucks? Are you a current student there?

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

ARD:

I feel that you should go to IIT considering all the factors such as curriculum, location, cost, placement statistics, faculty, etc.

Even Claremont is good, actually better than IIT, but if money is not an issue, then I say that you go to Claremont. Are you an international student? If yes, then I say go to IIT. Do not take the risk of attending such a costly program as Claremont. It would be in the best interest of yours.

@kbharadwaj - Yes I am an international student. For me money is definitely a huge factor in deciding the university. That is perhaps the main reason why I am cancelling Claremont coz of its high tution fees.
And what about Rutgers/USC?nyu-poly are they better than IIT Chicago if i get them?

Ok, If I were you I would pick up Rutgers from the list. By the way, is it msmf or MQF?

Review of Illinois Institute of Technologys Master in Finance program | Quant Network

Here are reviews from students @ IIT. There are reviews from domestic and an international student.

Review of Claremont Graduate Universitys Financial Engineering program | Quant Network

Here are reviews from students @ CGU . Do you have scholarship from them? I had gotten a 25% scholarship. It reduces the tuition to what other schools charge. The problem with CGU is they don't have much programming in thier curriculum, and the location. They have a few practitioners teach but quite few compared to other schools near financial hubs.

RIT is a MS Finance with 0 quant, so I am not going to compare. I was given admission there.

I don't know much about UNCC.

I am going to IIT.

As an international student you should go where you have the highest probability of networking strong enough to get a job as it will be very hard to get a job by not going to one of the top 5 schools. Even at the top it is hard to get jobs when you're an international student, so pick wisely.

@kbharadwaj - at Rutgers its MSMF...

@ Joy Pathak - I did read the reviews n they were of great help to me.. Thanks a lot.. and yeah I am somewhat inclined towards IIT Chicago because their program curriculum seems really interesting.

And from CGU I have a 10% scholarship but yeah as from wat I have heard its real difficult getting a on-campus job there and also their placements are horrible. So investing such a huge amount would really be a huge risk. Even though Peter Drucker is a big name, as an international student I don think it would be wise to go there.

I would say that you have to decide between Rutgers and IIT.
Where do you want to work? NYC? then go to rutgers. If not, then IIT.

Well yeah I have to choose between IIT and Rutgers. And I'd prefer working at NYC so I am waiting for Rutgers. otherwise IIT it is.
What about Kent State at Ohio. Its basically sumwhere between Chicago n NYC. Do you think it is a good place to go. I don think it is one of the financial centers.

What about Kent State at Ohio. Its basically sumwhere between Chicago n NYC.

WOW... so 6hrs to Chicago and 7+ hrs to NYC. That's exactly somewhere in between.

Lol.. Basically i wanted to ask about the University.. And how good is it.. do you have any idea Alain..?

Sorry but I don't. I usually don't have opinions about programs besides the ones I have attended.

I am going to RIT

ARD, are u an international student? And are u looking for high/low quant? Is money a factor for you? All of these matter.

I am an international student from India and I got admits from Washington Univ St. Louis Olin, University of Maryland College Park, SUNY-B, IIT (with aid), UIUC (with some scholarship as well), Case Western (some aid), University of Houston Clear Lake, NYU-poly (with a good scholarship) and RIT (with 55% aid).

Since I dint want high quant, money matters to me (especially since markets are bad and there is no guarantee of getting a job in finance in US for international students), and plus I have plans for higher studies, mostly an MBA 2/3 years down the line which wouldnt be possible if I spend a lot on MSF now, I have decided to join RIT and focus on networking to somehow try and get a job since it works out be very cheap because of the good scholarship I have received. So. hope you take a wise call.

If you are not an international student, I guess you can think on a higher level and think of more expensive programs as well.

Hope that helps.

Arun.

@arunmohan - thanks for ur inputs.. I am an international student..from India..
And yes money does matter a lot to me.. and as u said even I have plans for higher studies.. so yes money is a huge factor.
And abt the univ's I am pretty much inclined towards IIT right now.. I have got RIT as well.. i just need to choose correctly...

@arunmohan - thanks for ur inputs.. I am an international student..from India..
And yes money does matter a lot to me.. and as u said even I have plans for higher studies.. so yes money is a huge factor.
And abt the univ's I am pretty much inclined towards IIT right now.. I have got RIT as well.. i just need to choose correctly...

I am attending IIT in 2 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back