• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Carnegie Mellon University - MS in Computational Finance

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF Admission results

@cab Dude do you remember how many interview slots they provided for R1 students? There are 71 for R2 students...... I heard that students who got the interview have had a good chance to be admitted, but it just seems so unlikely that they will admit all (or most) of the 71 students out there.

This is a good observation that emphasizes the speculative nature of my first post. I really don't know. Are round 1 and 2 treated the same? What is the correspondence between interview slots and students (I doubt it's one-to-one)? What is the accepted student retention rate?

All of these things are important to reason effectively but are unavailable to us. All I can say is that based on my experience and what I have read of others, the interview stage occurs after they have already done most of the cuts to their applicant pool. I could be wrong though ha

I am an aerospace engineer. How would I best prepare myself for CMU interview ? Any advice would be much appreciated

Any Update on round 2 interviews, going by the above post it seems they already have sent invites, I received nothing and that saddens me a bit :(

For the information of future applicants:

The interview was non-technical and fairly casual. I come from a non-finance background (BS/MS in math) so he asked me "Why are you here?" once my motivations for entering the program were clear he said that I "made my case" and the conversation seemed to switch to chit-chat mode. I got the impression that once my motivations were established that I was deemed acceptable, and then he just wanted to give me information about the program. I left with the expectation that I would be accepted, but I can't be sure until the 31st!
@cab do you have any idea if the round 2 interviews have started, I dint receive any mail till now n the results for round 2 would be out on 1st april , should i consider mine to be a reject??

Any guys are the third round applicants?
Anyone got the interview invitation from MSCF 3rd round???
:-)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was put on waitlist for R2, but just received an interview invitation. I am really curious about whether waitlisted interviewees are treated along with other R3 interviewees. This makes a huge difference to me now as we all know a regular interview from MSCF almost means admit for sure, so I'm looking for anyone who's been through this process or can provide any additional information to help me evaluate my chance. Many thanks!

I created this thread also for future waitlisted candidates. I myself found next to nothing when I was waitlisted and was searching for useful information, so I guess it is a rare case and people may also need this kind of information in the future. The result being positive or not, I'll be sure to make the process crystal clear, at least from my perspective, for anyone in the same shoes. So far I saw 17 avaiable interview slots, all on April 11th and 16th, and 10 of them are taken.

I also got an interview invitation today. But I met a problem when registering the interview. I can't find any slot to register, they just don't display on the screen. Is it because my web browser? Or it means all slots are taken?

I also got an interview invitation today. But I met a problem when registering the interview. I can't find any slot to register, they just don't display on the screen. Is it because my web browser? Or it means all slots are taken?
It's the browser/internet connection. Try scheduling at a different site. btw are you waitlisted for r2 too?
There are still 6 open seats as of now. Don't worry and take your time.

It's the browser/internet connection. Try scheduling at a different site. btw are you waitlisted for r2 too?
There are still 6 open seats as of now. Don't worry and take your time.
Yes, I'm waitlisted for r2. And thank you, I've registered just now.

I am waitlisted for r2 as well, but i haven't received anything from them. u guys have any idea how large is the pool?

Back