• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF Interview

Anyone else have an interview for CMU MSCF for round 1? Have mine scheduled for Jan 5.

Got mine last week and it seems for the most part its purely behavioral, just seeing if anyone has any other information out there as well as how long it normally takes for them to get back to on whether they accept you or not?

No information for you, but I would just say that if you're getting an interview you have a very very good chance. I am still waiting on an interview. I wish you the best of luck! Would you mind sharing a bit about your background?

Have not received one yet, I wish you the best of luck.
Do let us know what type of interview it was.

Just finished my interview, think it went well. Was asked about what my future goals after the program and asked about what if that failed and what my back up would be just in case it didn't work out.

Talked about some weaknesses in my transcript for courses I performed "less than average" in and what happened there.

Overall, MSCF Admissions Team are super kind and down to earth they just really want to understand who you are, what you've done and where you want to go.

Results come out March 1st and I was told they come out in batches so don't get nervous if you haven't gotten one yet, I submitted my application early.

Good luck to anyone else with interviews.

Just finished my interview, think it went well. Was asked about what my future goals after the program and asked about what if that failed and what my back up would be just in case it didn't work out.

Talked about some weaknesses in my transcript for courses I performed "less than average" in and what happened there.

Overall, MSCF Admissions Team are super kind and down to earth they just really want to understand who you are, what you've done and where you want to go.

Results come out March 1st and I was told they come out in batches so don't get nervous if you haven't gotten one yet, I submitted my application early.

Good luck to anyone else with interviews.
Hi @ArnoZeldenrijk thanks so much for your insight for the interview.

May I know what preparation is required for the interview? Is there any technical aspect or mainly behavioral?

Anyone who received an invite and submitted their application on 12/3?

I submitted all the materials on 16 Jan, considered for the first round,, when can I expect an interview call?

I submitted all the materials on 16 Jan, considered for the first round,, when can I expect an interview call?
Do they accept materials this late? I was informed there's really only a two week window after the deadline for submitting materials.

Anyway, another comment pointed out that applications are reviewed in random batches. And based on last year's thread, seems like they continue interviewing candidates till the day decisions are released. So, I guess there's no way of knowing if and when you can hear from them. Could be any time before decisions are released.

Last edited:
Basically, there is an application screening process after the deadline of 3rd December where they will check if your submitted application is complete and error-free.

If they find some errors, they will ping you and ask you to submit those additional documents/materials. I think the deadline to submit the additional stuff was 23rd Jan to be considered for round 1.

But the catch is that they won't review your submitted material immediately after submitting your application. Your application will now be screened again at the end when all other remaining applications have been screened.

I don't know how these applications get affected for the interview stage (admissions committee review stage). Don't know if they will now be evaluated randomly or at the end.

Back