• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU MSCF Interview

Hi my son just received the interview invite this morning and the interview will be held on Wednesday 2/21 morning. Did anyone have interview experience with Emily Wertz? Could anyone share a bit about their interview process and questions please? Much appreciated!!

Hi my son just received the interview invite this morning and the interview will be held on Wednesday 2/21 morning. Did anyone have interview experience with Emily Wertz? Could anyone share a bit about their interview process and questions please? Much appreciated!!
Not sure it's allowable for telling the questions and the interview process. But some thing I could share that all behaviral questions, Emily is super nice, understanding your own passion and MSCF's passion. I think it would be enough for preparing.

Not sure it's allowable for telling the questions and the interview process. But some thing I could share that all behaviral questions, Emily is super nice, understanding your own passion and MSCF's passion. I think it would be enough for preparing.
I really appreciate your sharing, thank you!

Given that the results would be announced by March 1st, I guess if one hasn't received an interview invite till now means that they are rejected.

I noticed that some people got in without interview according to the tracker, but I'm not sure if that's because they didn't enter a date or if they had a strong profile that the admissions accepted them without interviewing them.

Though, historically, I never heard an actual case where a someone got in without interview for this program specifically.

I think the interview is a necessary step to an offer. The best result for someone who didn't receive an interview is to be waitlisted (and potentially get an offer afterwards, but this is rare).

I noticed that some people got in without interview according to the tracker, but I'm not sure if that's because they didn't enter a date or if they had a strong profile that the admissions accepted them without interviewing them.

Though, historically, I never heard an actual case where a someone got in without interview for this program specifically.
There are indeed some guys who got admitted without interview. I know one specific person. But for 99% of those people who doesn't get an interview, they will be either put into the waitlist or rejected.

To be honest, I've received WL from CBS MSFE after interview in this morning, it makes me to worry about my mscf.. :(

Keeps your hopes up @Chevis , @kombuchalover ! While I understand it sucks to be waiting, I was there last year... everything will be alright. There is a lot we have yet to accomplish in life, and if you put enough energy and discipline into your craft, a school will not have that much impact on where you end up.

I know of someone who's had final rounds with DRW and Jane Street, to then be rejected from both. What did he do? Sat down, wrote 50 stamped letters with his CV in them, and sent them to any asset manager or trading firm in Europe he knew of. He got 6 answers back for interviews. Keep that drive in mind... Countless times have I not been the smartest in the room, but there are MANY other ways you can build an edge (creativity, who you know/knowledge acquisition, grit, discipline (how do you efficiently store what you have learned to optimize for information retrieval and consolidation)).

You got this 🏆

Given that the results would be announced by March 1st, I guess if one hasn't received an interview invite till now means that they are rejected.
I had my interview as late as 26th Feb. Not sure if I should read too much into it but the admissions team is surely interviewing well up to the results deadline. Hope you had a chance to interview too! Good luck to all of us.

Back