• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF (Pitts or NYC?) or Cornell MFE

What kind of misinformation? I spoke with 4 Cornell students, and according to them, the vast majority of Cornell students get trading/front office jobs...

the way you worded what you said earlier implied that you have a better shot of getting a front office or trading role out of cornell. i can count on one hand the number of students (that i know definitively where they ended up) from cmu 2010 that are *not* in front office/trading roles at BBs. in fact, i can only think of a handful of students that ended up in true quant roles.

does cornell provide stats? i've never seen them. be wary of programs that don't provide them. andy is right to be wary of stats that are provided, as many programs cook their books. there are maybe four programs that are worth attending.

Definately CMU. It's worth the money.
Even my accounting major friends know CMU and praised it alot. Besides, coming out from CMU and still can't find a job from major investment banks or big firms is a bit disappointing right? Those banks knows exactly what CMU means.

Yes, I did. I'm going to answer here as best as I can.

Finding a suitable program for yourself is a much more complicated process. It's not 70K tuition at this program versus 80K at another. In the big scheme of things, those numbers are immaterial.

The problem I see with most people here making a choice is that they depend on the opinion of a few friends they have in the programs or anyone they can get opinion from. Personal opinions are never wrong but often flawed due to each person's experience and bias so when you see someone say "CMU is better than NYU", always ask "Why?". If they say "Go to CMU NYC", always ask "Why?".

If you can't verify someone's affiliation and motivation behind an online post, ask the poster to clarify his opinion. The internet is full of questionable characters and online forum is no exception.

Ask the programs direct and hard questions. Just like any reputable business, they should be able to backup all claims and numbers they put online. If they don't put any relevant numbers online, ask yourself why.

If a program has been around for over 5 years, there is no reason they can't tell you about the latest internship/placement numbers. A lot of program have been running under the radar for so long because no student has ever questioned them. Just look at Chicago MSFM program and see what happens when frustration comes to the surface.

Now back to the question of CMU Pittsburgh or NYC, the answer is "it depends"

Companies will have big events in Pittsburgh because the Tepper MBA program is there. There are events that NYC students have to go there to attend.

They also have "Treks" programs that CMU students go to company's presentations in NYC. Pitts students will have to travel to the city for a couple days to attend these.

NYC students will have a few days during a semester where the program invites companies to interview their students at their Broad Street location. Students who pass this screening will be then invited to company interviews. Pitts students will have to travel to NYC for this round.
And there are ad-hoc interviews that happen on the moment notice when a lead is passed by the program's alumni. The advantages would go to NYC students who can appear a few hours after notice.

The point is there are opportunities at both places. At the end of the day, regardless of where you study, you should be able to land an internship/jobs with the opportunities that the program/location presents to you. How do you do on those interviews will determine if you get a job and what kind of job you get.

The location is a better determined upon your personality and where you like to live.

Back