• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs Stanford Fin Math

I've got difficulty in choosing one between these two.
I was told that if one wants a job after graduate, CMU is the right choice. If instead, he/she wants to have the possibility of persuing a PhD, stanford is the perfect one. In other words, Stanford is regarded as more academic oriented?
My final goal is a job but not a PhD, too old to do that. Does that mean that CMU better fits me?
I don't know the placement rate of Stanford as there seems not many people talking about it. On the other hand, it's hard to give up stanford just because of its name.

Does anybody have any idea? I really need more insider's advices. Thanks a lot!

I don't understand any difficulty you have here. You seem to get hung up on the famous Stanford name.
You want a job, then you need to have some kind of clear idea and evidence that the program you join will provide reasonable career services.
Stanford is an academic program with no track record of placement data. Maybe most of their grads go on to PhD program or join other sectors in the Silicon Valley.
Maybe they admit only a few students each year who will be perfect PhD candidates. We just don't know.

I would urge you to ask Amy at Stanford about the numbers. Going there without knowing how you will end up post graduation is a really bad idea in this market.

Have you already gotten into both? Just checking, some people like to ponder choices when choices don't exist :x

I was under the impression that it was existing PhD students who do a MFE to enhance their profile at Stanford, rather than people getting the MFE to segway into a PhD.

Agree with Andy about finding out more facts. But I don't think you can go wrong with either program. I happen to think there might be an advantage to job placement at Stanford because the program is relatively smaller, but I could be wrong. I know at least Capula recruits from the Stanford MFE program because supposedly one of their senior partners is from Stanford.

And don't easily dismiss CMU's name. It might not be as prestigious as Stanford from a general view but in terms of engineering and technology, it's first class.

I don't understand any difficulty you have here. You seem to get hung up on the famous Stanford name.
You want a job, then you need to have some kind of clear idea and evidence that the program you join will provide reasonable career services.
Stanford is an academic program with no track record of placement data. Maybe most of their grads go on to PhD program or join other sectors in the Silicon Valley.
Maybe they admit only a few students each year who will be perfect PhD candidates. We just don't know.

I would urge you to ask Amy at Stanford about the numbers. Going there without knowing how you will end up post graduation is a really bad idea in this market.

Thanks Andy. I don't know which Amy you are talking about, but I am going to send the email to one of the admission staff, although I don't think I'm going to get any reply that is useful.

It is so strange that people cannot find much information about this program, even in quantnet. I guess it is because the class is small and mainly open to students in Stanford.

I really need to dig out more information before I can make the decision.

Have you already gotten into both? Just checking, some people like to ponder choices when choices don't exist :x

I was under the impression that it was existing PhD students who do a MFE to enhance their profile at Stanford, rather than people getting the MFE to segway into a PhD.

Agree with Andy about finding out more facts. But I don't think you can go wrong with either program. I happen to think there might be an advantage to job placement at Stanford because the program is relatively smaller, but I could be wrong. I know at least Capula recruits from the Stanford MFE program because supposedly one of their senior partners is from Stanford.

And don't easily dismiss CMU's name. It might not be as prestigious as Stanford from a general view but in terms of engineering and technology, it's first class.

Thanks Neoz. You are right, both programs should be very good. It's a matter of which one best fits me. As I said, I am going to dig out more and hopefuly I can contribute some information here.
BTW, nobody would want to go through such tough choice before he is even admitted. : )

Will cost some money but if it's really that difficult, fly to both campuses and check out the vibe there. Try to sit in classes and have lunch with students etc..

Thanks Andy. I don't know which Amy you are talking about, but I am going to send the email to one of the admission staff, although I don't think I'm going to get any reply that is useful.
Amy Duncan but it appears she no longer works for the program anymore.
Through doubtful, I would be delight to learn more if you receive anything from them. Their admission stats page have not been updated since 2011.

Will cost some money but if it's really that difficult, fly to both campuses and check out the vibe there. Try to sit in classes and have lunch with students etc..

Too late to do so. I'm located in HK.

Amy Duncan but it appears she no longer works for the program anymore.
Through doubtful, I would be delight to learn more if you receive anything from them. Their admission stats page have not been updated since 2011.
That's why I'm a little bit worried. That program is not trying very hard to promote itself. I guess it's because it's Stanford and the statistics department ranked no. 1. It's like "we are good so we don't care" attitude...

That's why I'm a little bit worried. That program is not trying very hard to promote itself. I guess it's because it's Stanford and the statistics department ranked no. 1. It's like "we are good so we don't care" attitude...

Stanford is closing down their FinMath program this year, and expecting to have an MFE-ish thing run by their MS&E department (the current FinMath program is/was run by Statistics, which may explain its more academic/theoretic reputation).

Stanford is closing down their FinMath program this year, and expecting to have an MFE-ish thing run by their MS&E department (the current FinMath program is/was run by Statistics, which may explain its more academic/theoretic reputation).
It's breaking news if confirmed. Can you elaborate on sources, links a bit? thanks

Saw it in a rejection email from the program!
I have seen no other confirmation about the news,
but the email I saw was reliable.

I've got difficulty in choosing one between these two.
I was told that if one wants a job after graduate, CMU is the right choice. If instead, he/she wants to have the possibility of persuing a PhD, stanford is the perfect one. In other words, Stanford is regarded as more academic oriented?
My final goal is a job but not a PhD, too old to do that. Does that mean that CMU better fits me?
I don't know the placement rate of Stanford as there seems not many people talking about it. On the other hand, it's hard to give up stanford just because of its name.

Does anybody have any idea? I really need more insider's advices. Thanks a lot!

A friend who has involvement with both programs (attending, hiring from, advising) much prefers CMU graduates as versatile, practical, "parachute them into anything" sorts of people.

It's breaking news if confirmed. Can you elaborate on sources, links a bit? thanks

Yes, it's written in the admission letter I received:
"After August 2014, please be advised that the program will transition to a new organizational structure, most likely involving the Department of Management Science and Engineering as a key partner."

I think I'm going to CMU. I cannot get any information or numbers from Stanford. I simply got no reply of my email at all.

A friend who has involvement with both programs (attending, hiring from, advising) much prefers CMU graduates as versatile, practical, "parachute them into anything" sorts of people.
Thanks. Then that approves my decision.:)

Yes, it's written in the admission letter I received:
"After August 2014, please be advised that the program will transition to a new organizational structure, most likely involving the Department of Management Science and Engineering as a key partner."

I think I'm going to CMU. I cannot get any information or numbers from Stanford. I simply got no reply of my email at all.
It probably will become something similar to Columbia MSOR, no longer a Math Fin program.

Back