• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU or work a year and Princeton

Just something I was wondering about and so I thought I would ask. Should I work a year and then reapply to Princeton, which the director told me to do or should I just go to CMU? For know I’m pretty sure that I’m gonna go to CMU, but does anyone see any benefit of working for a year and then going to Princeton. The director told me I would have a very good chance of getting in if I did this, so I thought I’d ask on the forum. By the way I’m 21 if age would be a factor.

You are still very young. Working a year and then go back to school will give you the big advantage of knowing exactly what skills you need and how the theory applies to real world. If you can get in a program now, you will have a better chance with the additional work experience.
Lot of others do not have this option or luxury due to reasons like visa, etc.

My advice applies if you have a job lined up or can get one by school starts. Princeton likes to admit applicants with some work exp so their advice makes sense for them.
I was thinking along the same lines. I applied for some stuff, if I think it’s a good opportunity I’ll take it, if not I’ll still be going to a great program.

Thank you very much for your post, Andy. I was rejected from almost all the programs I applied but fortunately got an offer from BB. I was really disappointed with my applications and confused about where to go: 2-tier mfe graduate school or the full-time job. Your post guides and encourages me a lot. Thank you.

Thank you very much for your post, Andy. I was rejected from almost all the programs I applied but fortunately got an offer from BB. I was really disappointed with my applications and confused about where to go: 2-tier mfe graduate school or the full-time job. Your post guides and encourages me a lot. Thank you.
If you don't mind me asking where has your choice gotten you at the moment? Like where are you know because of you taking that job?

I would suggest working a year as well. I debated between applying to a MFE program right out of undergrad vs. working at a financial services firm. I ended up choosing the job since my firm is quite reputable in the industry. But I always wanted to go back to school to learn more about quant / portfolio management, so I applied to a couple of top MFE programs this year (CMU, UCB, etc) and got into all of them. Working a few years really gives you perspective on what you want in the end and it'll help with your job search down the line, regardless whether your current job is super quanty or not (mine was more business management). If you don't have a job offer at the moment, however, I'd suggest going to CMU and just get the degree done. But if your job offer is quite good (like mine was), I would suggest going to the job for a few years and then do the MFE.

it depends on the jobs you have. middle/back office roles will only decrease your chance

it depends on the jobs you have. middle/back office roles will only decrease your chance

If you don’t mind, can you explain this a bit more? I am currently working as an analyst at a US middle office and want to apply for a master degree next year.

If you don’t mind, can you explain this a bit more? I am currently working as an analyst at a US middle office and want to apply for a master degree next year.
just look at princeton students' resume... the last time i checked, all of them have fo roles immediately before they started the master degree

just look at princeton students' resume... the last time i checked, all of them have fo roles immediately before they started the master degree

Okay, so in this particular situation, when you want to work to increase your chances to get admitted to Princeton, I am agree with you. In my case, for example, I am working as an analyst at the middle office next to my bachelor program. I really think, this will increase my chance of getting admitted to a Master's program. Thanks for your explanation by the way!

I see you got into CMU and Fordham but was rejected by other schools, probably because of your undergrad GPA. If I were you, I would join CMU. CMU is definitely top school. I wouldn't give up CMU, work a year, and take risk of being rejected all over again. It seems that many schools set a lower limit of GPA.

Yeah so what I said earlier still makes sense only if the job offer that you got/will get is at a top firm or good pay. If you find a job right out of undergrad that is in the back office, however, I'd suggest taking CMU as well. But in the case that you do get into a top firm / bb, I would try that out for a year and then decide. I think you can defer admission to CMU (?) too.

Definitely doesn't decrease your chances. Correlation != causation. Any work experience is beneficial as it shows you have the ability to communicate, work with others, and have shown genuine interest in the field enough to get some exposure and want more.

Back