• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia "brand" - how good is it?

I am a prospective applicant for MFE programs in 2011. I'm from IIT in India and work in finance, and was wondering about the program at Columbia University - I know a guy from the program who had to return to India after his MFE because he could not find a job in the US, and he is of the opinion that the program isn't really a top tier program and it's reputation on Wall Street isn't particularly great. I talked to a former student at CMU, and he held a similar view about Columbia. Opinions here seem to be very largely negative too, I've read the threads on class size etc.
This surprises me a lot - I mean, isn't Columbia Ivy league, and one of the best universities in the world? I wouldn't go on to assume that everyone from the course starts trading derivatives at Goldman Sachs pronto, but I'd expect that a Columbia MFE should under no circumstances be a deterrant to a potential recruiter! I know a lot depends on a student's overall profile when getting shortlisted, but is the Columbia MFE not considered as "prestigious" as say, Stanford or CMU or Cornell?

I don't know much about the Columbia MFE brand itself, but know this:
A reputation, once made, can still be unmade.

Not all Ivy league schools are typical feeders for Wall Street. Brown is an Ivy league, but I they don't put people on the street like Wharton or Harvard would. I think Columbia is a great school with a great brand, maybe lesser than some other schools in their peer group, but still top tier.

just because a person did not find a job from a program doesnt mean that it is bad. A lot of people last year did not find jobs in the US even from programs like CMU and Haas. Some did find jobs elsewhere (singapore/HK/china etc). having the columbia tag is not a deterrent at all. and i dont think the industry looks down upon columbia over say cmu. However, the programs at cmu/haas etc might be more aggressive in trying to place their students compared to columbia.

I am a prospective applicant for MFE programs in 2011. I'm from IIT in India and work in finance, and was wondering about the program at Columbia University - I know a guy from the program who had to return to India after his MFE because he could not find a job in the US, and he is of the opinion that the program isn't really a top tier program and it's reputation on Wall Street isn't particularly great. I talked to a former student at CMU, and he held a similar view about Columbia. Opinions here seem to be very largely negative too, I've read the threads on class size etc.
This surprises me a lot - I mean, isn't Columbia Ivy league, and one of the best universities in the world? I wouldn't go on to assume that everyone from the course starts trading derivatives at Goldman Sachs pronto, but I'd expect that a Columbia MFE should under no circumstances be a deterrant to a potential recruiter! I know a lot depends on a student's overall profile when getting shortlisted, but is the Columbia MFE not considered as "prestigious" as say, Stanford or CMU or Cornell?

Until 2008, the Columbia brand name would automatically get you the interview at almost all the firms on Wall Street. The Columbia Business School has got an awesome alumni network on Wall Street. Unfortunately, it is not connected with the MFE program. If you got the MBA from Columbia you could get into any firm on Wall Street without too much difficulty.

The CMU and UCB MFE programs which are based in the Business Schools have an incredibly powerful alumni network on Wall Street. Even in the middle of a great recession, they were always able to place all their MFE graduates in great positions.The recession has almost no impact on their recruitment. Maybe they have to work a little harder, but that is it.

If you got the MBA from Columbia you could get into any firm on Wall Street without too much difficulty.

I don't think this is true at all. Recession affected everyone. I know a number of friends who graduated from Columbia business school in past couple of years still struggling to find a job. Columbia has big classes for MBA (~50-100 students enrollment in each course) and it is just not possible for everyone to get placed immediately at graduation when there are few positions available.

I think TraderJoe has a point, seems like (in general) the MFEs in business schools might be promoted and publicised better than those in Math or IEOR departments, probably because they're already in contact with banks etc for their MBA placements.

I don't think this is true at all. Recession affected everyone. I know a number of friends who graduated from Columbia business school in past couple of years still struggling to find a job. Columbia has big classes for MBA (~50-100 students enrollment in each course) and it is just not possible for everyone to get placed immediately at graduation when there are few positions available.

This is very strange. Did your friends need visa sponsorship for the work permits? Maybe that would explain why they are not able to get jobs.

There are some people in my office who are doing Executive MBA at Columbia. The tuition for 2 years is $160 K, but they love the program. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Columbia MBA program.

This is very strange. Did your friends need visa sponsorship for the work permits? Maybe that would explain why they are not able to get jobs.

There are some people in my office who are doing Executive MBA at Columbia. The tuition for 2 years is $160 K, but they love the program. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Columbia MBA program.

You missed my point. The program is exceptional that is well known fact. I am making a point on placement during recession time.

Yeah, placement is tough right now. Banks are still gun shy when it comes to hiring. Columbia has a great rep in NYC so if you are willing to hang in there I am sure you will land a great job.

Back