• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia FE vs Combined 4-2

Hello all,

I am a math senior, and planning on a master degree in applied science/engineering (best with FE). My college is one of the affiliated colleges that involved in the combined program under SEAS in Columbia.

Since I can only apply for one program in SEAS, I have to choose between FE and combined 4-2. With combined 4-2, major in operation research will be plausible, but not FE specifically. Does anyone has any experience with combined 4-2 program? I wondered what's the difference between a regular one-year master program and combined 4-2. Plus, will I be in the pool for combined 4-2 OR (if I stated I would go for OR) if I get denied from FE(I know that students get denied from FE will be automatically in the pool for MF, but not sure about regular MSOR)?

Thanks advanced,
Renee

(I know that students get denied from FE will be automatically in the pool for MF, but not sure about regular MSOR)

Let me correct that. Columbia MFE (under IOER dept) has nothing to do with Columbia MAFN (under Math dept) so you won't get from one to the other.

It has been documented in the past that some denied Columbia MFE applicants got referred to MSOR since they are under the same IOER dept.

Same is true for MAFN referral to MS Stats since they are under the same Math dept.

(I know that students get denied from FE will be automatically in the pool for MF, but not sure about regular MSOR)

Let me correct that. Columbia MFE (under IOER dept) has nothing to do with Columbia MAFN (under Math dept) so you won't get from one to the other.

It has been documented in the past that some denied Columbia MFE applicants got referred to MSOR since they are under the same IOER dept.

Same is true for MAFN referral to MS Stats since they are under the same Math dept.

Thanks for the clarification, Andy!

Meanwhile, expecting help on the inquiries.

I am pretty sure Stats and Math are completely separate departments at Columbia.

MAFN is offered by Math Dept, but MS Stat is offered by the separate Statistics Department.

Back