• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - MA in Mathematics of Finance

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN decisions...

I am joining to this program. My previous supervisor graduated from this program and he is very positive about it.

i will pmost probably be joining columbia MAFN .... just waiting on MSOR

so do we have to pay any amount along with accpetance ?? did u receive any other info from them after accpetance ??

I might come with you too. I contacted an alumni and she gave me an enthusiastiuc review of the program. She went there during the crisis year (2008/2009) and found a good associate position in structured products in a BB in NY.
Sounds not bad at all ^^

@Paul Mithouard that sounds intriguing! It makes me wanna email MAFN to follow up on my application... but then I don't think my math background is strong enough for their liking. Did you guys all major in math/stats in undergrad?

i got an admit from MAFN columbia on 18th of march and i'm still awaiting the results of MFE program offered by columbia CMU and Baruch. i read andy's posts in other threads and honestly i am not fancying getting into the MFE program as i submitted my application on 4th of March :P :P.

I can see a lot of reject / Wailist on the tracker. It seems to be a very selective program.

i applied on 1st march got an admit on 18th of march !...i was skeptical about taking up this program, but after reading alla's post in a different thread i have changed my opinion :) but i'm disappointed at the fact that the classes will be held during the nights !

i applied on 1st march got an admit on 18th of march !...i was skeptical about taking up this program, but after reading alla's post in a different thread i have changed my opinion :) but i'm disappointed at the fact that the classes will be held during the nights !

does it make a difference ? i thought classes at night was better ( no more waking up early :p)

you mean, we need wait until their official deadline on 5/31?? that will be too sad....

you mean, we need wait until their official deadline on 5/31?? that will be too sad....
possible.. if u see the tracker..ppl have got admits till june..so dont lose hope :)
But i srsly doubt if its a "short" waitlst as they mentioned in the mail..imo a lotta ppl are waitlisted

Hi,

I applied two weeks back at Columbia MAFN, but I do not care about the answer anymore.

3 of the 4 full time faculty have left. Their star Prof. Van left one year ago and his name is still on the faculty page. His classes will now be taken by Prof. Ghosh and he has no mathematical finance publication. Rest of the classes are handed over to visiting professors and few are two be announced. You can see this at the following page on Columbia's website.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/department/mafn/page5.html

With the star faculty gone and near to nothing career services, where does Columbia MAFN stand?

I was also wondering if you guys were informed about this?

Back