• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - MA in Mathematics of Finance

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN decisions...

I'm deciding between LSE & Columbia, asked abt job placement rate to both, Columbia didnt sound very optimistic while LSE sounded very optimistic. (but both did not give exact figures, just qualitative statements).

As you seem to be European, you may want to work in London and LSE would be better for this reason. I think both are very good but their reputation are not the same depending countries.

Well it's the "short" wait list for me ?
I'm kinda disappointed, .... did you guys got an answer ?

btw, Is the "short" wait list, is really short, or they just say that to keep me hanging ?

Well it's the "short" wait list for me ?
I'm kinda disappointed, .... did you guys got an answer ?

btw, Is the "short" wait list, is really short, or they just say that to keep me hanging ?

hey!I also got the same thing. May I know that the link they gave you to accept the waiting list is correct? For my the link is for accepting the admission offer.
Thank you.

Hey guys,

Any news from this program? I have got WL in the early April. Anyone knows the chance to be admitted after WL?

Thx.

Same situation here, and so far nothing new. I actually don't even know when we'll be noticed about a possible new offer. Besides, judging by the number of people who are on the WL, it does not seem that "short" ...

If someone has any news, plz let us know

Has anyone who has been Waitlisted for the MAFN program heard from the university ? Is There any way to contact them ? What are our chances really ? Most of the students who got accepted here might have already gotten into better programs right ? So arent our odds still good ?

Is there anyone who has experienced an interview during the application process?

I also received an email from Pr.Smirnov for an itw. May you tell the kind of questions he asked? Is it about your motivation? Your studies? GPA?

I am kinda stressed out!

I also received an email from Pr.Smirnov for an itw. May you tell the kind of questions he asked? Is it about your motivation? Your studies? GPA?

I am kinda stressed out!
It was a very quick talk about my career objectives. Then I was asked where I applied and which were my priority between them and another program, if I were admitted in both.
Finally it was basically me asking prof. Smirnov questions about the program and why there is a lack of resources over the web.
Before the interview I asked for an early decision due to another offer, and during it I was assured to get one in time. However I still haven't heard back from them, while my other offer has expire two days ago... (fortunately I have been admitted to another program and I can wait for more days).

This is my experience, I hope it helps!

Nice info.

I'm curious to know about this as well.

Basically he seems not to share this point of view. I underlined the fact that there is no description of the elective courses on their website and their career service is considered poor. He replied that one can choose electives from the math dept, as well as the engineering one and the business one (maybe others as well, but I can't remember right now).
Finally he revealed some employment statistics: he said that in the last years over 90% of the graduates found employment (he didn't say upon which time from graduation) and that they didn't performance worse than top programs like CMU or NYU.

Ok, I just finished my 2min 20s itw with Pr.Smirnov, he only asked me what I wanted to do after the master; I replied quant or trader. He said "ok, we will send you a admission form this week, try to respond quickly"
That was so d**n quick

Back