• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
Columbia University - Masters in Financial Engineering

Columbia MFE Columbia MFE admissions results

• Thread starter Thread starter Vixus
  • Start date Start date
My current status now says that my application has been moved to review with the Faculty Committee and this definitely wasn’t there yesterday night

What time do results come out if they do on any given particular day? Should we still expect results today?

I guess no results today either :(
You guys are keeping us glued to this thread/platform with your continuous updates...lol.

Think it's best to just get one's mind away from this for a while. Have backup plans..Apply to less competitive schools and secure an offer...A school like Columbia will reject some very good profiles and it's okay. I have learned not to be anxious over what I can't control.

Also, wanted to ask, if we indicated that we would like to be considered for OR for example, is it guaranteed that we will be considered if we are rejected from FE? Or do we have to take any step to ensure we are considered for the other programs we indicated on the form?

For those that applied in the past, could you please share your experiences?

Is it just me or has the program become orders of magnitude more competitive over the years?

I know two people who graduated from this program in 2017 and 2019 and they were really not that spectacular in terms of their math, stats and finance background. One of them was an Econ UG from a T50 school with 3.6-3.7 GPA with no work exp.

Now, my sample size is quite small so this is not a statistical deduction....but I am just wondering if you guys get the same feeling the competition has gotten much tougher, perhaps even across all MFE programs?

Is it just me or has the program become orders of magnitude more competitive over the years?

I know two people who graduated from this program in 2017 and 2019 and they were really not that spectacular in terms of their math, stats and finance background. One of them was an Econ UG from a T50 school with 3.6-3.7 GPA with no work exp.

Now, my sample size is quite small so this is not a statistical deduction....but I am just wondering if you guys get the same feeling the competition has gotten much tougher, perhaps even across all MFE programs?
Sure... The moment I discovered that Princeton received almost 1200 applications or thereabout, I knew it was gonna be tough this year. Some of us didn't even attempt Princeton, we were probably discouraged by the single digit admit rate.

It is what it is bro. We move!!

I blame the new guys from Europe (UK especially) who suddenly showed up on QuantNet in huge number this year. :)
Just kidding, it's great to see many more talented members across the world sharing their stories with us. It surely raises the bar for competition quite a bit.
UK is now the second source of traffic on QuantNet after the US.

I blame the new guys from Europe (UK especially) who suddenly showed up on QuantNet in huge number this year. :)
Just kidding, it's great to see many more talented members across the world sharing their stories with us. It surely raises the bar for competition quite a bit.
I'm actually surprised the second highest (or highest even) traffic isn't from India!

Wow!
I knew something happened this year..
Not really surprising that more Europeans are getting interested in US programs.

I'm actually surprised the second highest (or highest even) traffic isn't from India!
You may be correct. I need to check for the time frame but these are for sure.
India has overtaken China lately. China has been our #2 source of visitors for so long. Now it's India.
UK has never been on our top 5 but they are in our top five. Somedays, they are our #2.

If you watch the Tracker closely, you will find some very interesting instances where a member got admitted by a top 5 program but rejected by a top 15. I'm curious to see if a top 15 program knows that an applicant will most likely get in a top 5, do they bother admit him and get turned down? Or do they reject him to keep their acceptance rate low?
Just some thought.

Back