• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE vs. Stanford MS MCF vs. CMU MSCF

Hey guys,

I have received offers from Columbia and Stanford. As Stanford is just relaunching its math finance program this fall, there hasn't been much discussion about where the new program is expected to place among current ones.

This is the Stanford's website: http://icme.stanford.edu/academic-programs/ms/financial-analytics.

It seems to me that the new program is legit and has a practical focus, with emphasis both on programming (just like CMU) and on data science. How do you think these would play in terms of job placement?

Compared to Columbia MFE, Stanford MS MCF is more selective, or at least smaller (12-15 students compared to 70-80+ for Columbia). And arguably, the school as a whole is more prestigious (or is it?). But of course, Columbia is in NYC (hence the networking, etc) and is higher ranked on Quantnet.

I have no industry experience, but would like to start a career in quant trading. I may also continue on with a PhD. Both Columbia and Stanford offer transitioning into their PhD program after a year of coursework. How do you guys view Stanford's new progam? What are some other criteria I should consider?

(Btw I have also included CMU for discussion since it consistently ranked #1.)

Last edited by a moderator:
1.). Stanford probably has a better brand.

2.). I have never met a Stanford MFE on Wall Street. I had met Princeton and CMU Mfins prior to applying for an MFE. I have no idea why this is.

I would offer a soft push in the direction of Stanford.

i wouldnt go with stanford, as their previous fin math program didnt have a great recruiting track record and this icme just admits seas of academically eligible international students who r able to pay the tuition, the recruiting is also subpar

2.). I have never met a Stanford MFE on Wall Street. I had met Princeton and CMU Mfins prior to applying for an MFE. I have no idea why this is.

Could it be that Stanford grads stayed on the west coast? Also I don't really expect seeing as many Stanford grads on Wall Street as Columbia or CMU grads for the mere fact that Stanford's program is a lot more selective with a smaller class size.

i wouldnt go with stanford, as their previous fin math program didnt have a great recruiting track record and this icme just admits seas of academically eligible international students who r able to pay the tuition, the recruiting is also subpar

What do you think of their new program?

I would choose Stanford. A small class means that career office would provide more efforts to each one.

I would choose CMU for S&T and HFT and Columbia for any other interests.

Could it be that Stanford grads stayed on the west coast? Also I don't really expect seeing as many Stanford grads on Wall Street as Columbia or CMU grads for the mere fact that Stanford's program is a lot more selective with a smaller class size.

Yes. Or went abroad. Or went to Chicago.

I don't know. I'm saying I think Stanford has a pretty good program, but I'm adding the asterisk that I don't have a lot of knowledge on placements.

If you really want NYC, given no other information besides what I have, Columbia would be the safer choice. But my guess is that Stanford is the stronger program.

Why don't you go on linkedin and do some good searches and find out where the alumni of these programs are working. You are probably going to get the same job as what the alumni of your program has got. Then, based on what job you want after the MFE program, you can make your choice.
My understanding is that if you want front-office role, Berkeley and Princeton are the best. Most of the other schools will place you in Risk role or IT role in the back-office.
If you are interested in HFT / algo-trading role, then Computer Science background is more valuable. I know that they actively recruit CMU Computer Science PhDs for HFT / algo-trading roles. Maybe if you have solid Computer Science background and CMU name on your resume, it may work.

If you really want NYC, given no other information besides what I have, Columbia would be the safer choice. But my guess is that Stanford is the stronger program.
The safety aspect never appeals to me. One could tell by the industry into which I am entering. Having said that, I totally do agree with you and feel like I need to work a lot harder on networking and attending career fairs if I decide to go with Stanford. The bottom-line questions is what do I get in return. For one, I think, Stanford offers more opportunities outside of U.S., where it is almost always perceived much more prestigious than Columbia.

Why don't you go on linkedin and do some good searches and find out where the alumni of these programs are working.
Thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely do some more digging.

Hey guys,

I have received offers from Columbia and Stanford. As Stanford is just relaunching its math finance program this fall, there hasn't been much discussion about where the new program is expected to place among current ones...

Hi, Eric, congratulations! I guess you have made your choice, so did you choose Stanford or Columbia? Could you please share your experience and the information you have dug with us?

You definitely have a strong background to be admitted to these top programs. Could you please talk about it a bit?

Thanks!

Back